Egyptian security forces have clashed with stone-throwing protesters in Cairo's Tahrir Square for a fifth day.
Medical officials say at least two people were killed on Tuesday after security forces launched a new raid on the square, raising the death toll from five days of unrest to at least 14.
Later Tuesday, thousands of Egyptians rallied to protest the security forces' treatment of women.
Television video has shown soldiers beating female protesters, dragging them by their hair, and in some cases, pulling off their clothing.
The violence has drawn U.S. condemnation. U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said Monday that the recent events in Egypt were "shocking," particularly the treatment of women.
"Women protesters have been rounded up and subjected to horrific abuse," said Clinton. "Journalists have been sexually assaulted. And now, women are being attacked, stripped, and beaten in the streets. This systematic degradation of Egyptian women dishonors the revolution, disgraces the state and its uniform, and is not worthy of a great people."
Egypt's ruling military council said Tuesday that it regretted the attacks on women. The military also said it would take legal action against those responsible for the abuse.
Security forces have been trying to clear Tahrir Square of protesters, who have been calling for an end to Egypt's military rule.
The military council said some protesters had been provoking soldiers and destroying government property.
Demonstrators have accused the ruling military council of manipulating the country's transition process to retain permanent powers.
Some information for this report was provided by AP and AFP.
|Join the conversation on our social journalism site - Middle East Voices. Follow our Middle East reports on Twitter and discuss them on our Facebook page.|