<!-- IMAGE -->

U.S. President Barack Obama has called for a thorough investigation of the steps leading to last week's tragic shooting on a Texas army base.

In his weekly radio and Internet address, posted Saturday on the White House Web site, Mr. Obama said investigators must "compile every piece of information" known about the gunman and learn what was done with it.

Meanwhile, funerals are scheduled Saturday for some of the 13 victims of the November 5 shooting at Fort Hood.  Among them is Staff Sergeant Amy Krueger, who will be buried in the small town of Kiel in the upper midwestern state of Wisconsin.  

Hundreds of people turned out Friday evening at a local high school for a memorial service for the 29-year-old slain soldier.

An attorney for the suspected gunman, Major Nidal Malik Hasan, said Friday it appears his client is paralyzed from the waist down after being shot multiple times by civilian police during the attack.

The civilian attorney John Galligan said Hasan, a U.S. Army psychiatrist, also has extreme pain in his hands.

The attorney said he spent time with Hasan Thursday at the Army hospital near San Antonio where he is being treated.

Army officials announced Thursday that Hasan is being charged with 13 counts of premeditated murder.  He could face the death penalty.

Hasan is accused of opening fire on unarmed soldiers who were preparing for deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan.  Those who were killed included a pregnant soldier and several mental health professionals.  Forty-three other people were wounded.

President Obama has ordered a review of all intelligence related to Hasan to determine if government agencies shared and properly acted on information about him before the shooting.

There have been concerns that authorities missed warning signs that could have prevented the rampage.

Colleagues described Hasan as aloof, belligerent and frequently argumentative when discussing his Muslim faith.  

U.S. media reports cite unnamed military officials as saying doctors that reviewed Hasan a year ago held a series of meetings where they discussed problems with his performance and mental state.  

The officials decided against seeking his removal because they did not believe him to be violent, and they thought his transfer to Fort Hood in July would help lessen his workload.

Some information for this report was provided by AP.