The World Food Program, WFP, says it will have to halt its aid operation in Angola unless it receives new donations by the end of this month.
The United Nations agency issued a statement Tuesday saying it needs more than $12 million to keep the food program going for the remainder of the year. It said donations for the 700,000 Angolans in need have dropped alarmingly since last year.
The U.N. agency says the situation has deteriorated to the extent that it will not be able to distribute food in August if aid is not sent soon.
In a study conducted last year, the WFP found that more than 900,000 people in southern and eastern Angola do not get enough food.
Angola is recovering from a nearly 30-year-old civil war that ended in 2002.