Angry young men complain to French soldiers in patrol in the pro-Christian area of Bangui February 15, 2014. France said on Friday it plans to send another 400 troops to help combat a crisis in the Central African Republic as U.N. chief Ban Ki-moon p
Angry young men complain to French soldiers in patrol in the pro-Christian area of Bangui February 15, 2014. France said on Friday it plans to send another 400 troops to help combat a crisis in the Central African Republic as U.N. chief Ban Ki-moon p

PARIS - The Paris prosecutor's office says an investigation into alleged child sexual abuse by French soldiers in Central African Republic has ended without charges.

Spokeswoman Agnes Thibault-Leroux said Thursday the investigation formally ended last month. She declined to elaborate.
 
French newspaper Le Monde reports the decision stemmed from insufficient "elements" to press charges.
 
Several boys told United Nations investigators they were sexual abused by French troops in the Central African Republic capital, Bangui, in May and June 2014. Fourteen French soldiers reportedly were suspected of being involved.
 
A separate investigation of alleged sexual abuse by U.N. peacekeepers and French troops between 2013 and 2015 in the town of Dekoa is ongoing.
 
France, Central African Republic's former colonial ruler, sent troops to the country in late 2013 amid violence between Christians and Muslims.