dictionary and thesaurus

Today's entry into the Glossary of Confusing Words: transcript.

According to the person who submitted it:

Schools ask for transcripts and this is an unfamiliar word to many students.

A transcript is an official record of the courses you took and grades you received in high school, college or graduate school.  For students from South Asia, mark sheets may be considered equivalent.

When you apply to an undergraduate program, you will probably be required to submit your high school transcript.  When  you apply to graduate school, you will probably be required to provide your undergraduate transcript and the transcripts from any other university programs from which you've received a degree or credit.

If your transcript is not in English, you also may be required to submit a certified translation of your transcript.

There you go!  Not the most exciting glossary entry perhaps, but definitely one of the more useful ones!

Do you have a word to contribute to our Glossary of Confusing Words? Share words that have confused you or that might confuse others about studying in the U.S. Leave your suggestions in the comments, or use the form below.