Donald Trump is the presidential nominee for the Republican Party.
- Trump is most well-known as the star of the reality television show, "The Apprentice" (and its various iterations, like "Celebrity Apprentice"). He brought together entrepreneurs, who would then fight to become his apprentice and learn everything they could from him about business.
- Trump has a large family. He has five children from three wives. Trump?s children have brought together Republicans who may be less enamored with Trump. At the Republican National Convention in July, Trump?s vice presidential pick Mike Pence said of Trump?s children, ?As we say back home, you can?t fake good kids. How about his amazing children, aren?t they something
- Donald Trump led the charge in the ?birther? movement, which alleged that President Barack Obama was not born in the United States. His actions in this movement, which eventually caused Obama to release his birth certificate, were part of what catapulted him to political fame in the recent years. However, he recently said he now believes Obama was born in the U.S. (Politico)
- Trump was one of 17 candidates who ran for the presidential nomination in the Republican primary. This list included former Florida Governor Jeb Bush and Texas Senator Ted Cruz.
- Trump says he is a big fan of is winning, and that he will bring winning to America again. ?We're going to win so much. You're going to get tired of winning. You?re going to say, ?Please, Mr. President, I have a headache. Please, don't win so much. This is getting terrible.? And I'm going to say, ?No, we have to make America great again.? You're gonna say, ?Please.? I said, ?Nope, nope. We're gonna keep winning. (The Washington Post)
- The Trump campaign slogan is ?Make America Great Again,? which first appeared in 1980 when Ronald Reagan was running for president. (NBC News)
- The signature issue Trump has focused on is illegal immigration. Trump says that he will build a wall between the United States and Mexico. ?The Wall? is one of his most popular policies among his supporters, causing one to go so far as to dress up like ?The Wall.?
- Trump is a fan of Russian President Vladimir Putin, who has returned the praise. He has compared Obama unfavorably to Putin, saying, ?He's [Putin] running his country and at least he's a leader, unlike what we have in this country.?
- As a businessman, Trump has worked in real estate, the casino business, produced Miss Universe, Miss USA, and Miss Teen USA (CNN). He?s also sold various products like Trump vodka, Trump steak, Trump water, and Trump magazine. One of his ventures, Trump University, has been in the news for the past year over accusations of fraud.