Tsarnaev emerges from the boat.
Tsarnaev emerges from the boat.
Court papers released Monday detail the injuries suffered by surviving Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.

Boston trauma surgeon Stephen Ray Odom treated Tsarnaev in April, and described his injuries at a hospital court proceeding three days after his arrest.  
The transcript of the doctor's testimony was ordered unsealed Monday.

Odom said the most severe gunshot appeared to have entered the left inside of Tsarnaev's mouth and exited on the left side of his face, fracturing the base of his skull.

Tsarnaev, now 20, also sustained multiple wounds to his legs, neck, arm and hand, but was alert and aware of his surroundings as he was being treated.

Tsarnaev was arrested days after twin explosions rocked the finish line of the April 15 race, killing three people and injuring more than 260 others. U.S. authorities scoured footage of security videos along the route of the annual race before accusing Tsarnaev and his older brother, Tamerlan, of detonating homemade pressure-cooker bombs.

The Tsarnaev brothers engaged police in a shootout in a Boston suburb. Tamerlan Tsarnaev died in the exchange. Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was arrested later the same day after a massive manhunt. Authorities found him hiding in a boat parked in a homeowner's backyard.

He is recovering from his gunshot wounds at a prison medical center outside Boston.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's face appeared swollen and his left arm was in a cast when he made a court appearance last month. He pleaded not guilty to charges in the bombings, including use of a weapon of mass destruction, that carry the possibility of the death penalty if he is convicted.

The Tsarnaev brothers were immigrants from the volatile Chechnya region of Russia, but had lived in the U.S. for several years. Authorities said the younger Tsarnaev scrawled a note in the boat he was found in, saying the bombings were retribution for the U.S. wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and the killing of Muslims.