CAIRO - In Yemen, an airstrike has hit a hospital run by the French medical charity Doctors Without Borders. A Yemeni official says more than 20 people were killed in the strike which he said was carried out by the Saudi-led coalition.
Amateur video shown by pro-Houthi Yemeni media showed part of the rudimentary two-story Abs Hospital complex on fire and a number of bodies lying in the courtyard of the facility.
Hilal Soufi, deputy governor of Hajjah province, said human remains were strewn around the facility. He said it was the only working hospital in the area and that it served four or five other adjacent regions.
Doctors Without Borders indicated on its website that the airstrike took place Monday, noting that MSF has supported the Abs Hospital since July 2015.
A witness told the Reuters news agency that it was difficult for medics to evacuate the wounded from the hospital since Saudi-coalition warplanes were still flying overhead.
Saudi-coalition officials have not yet commented. Other Saudi-coalition airstrikes were reported in northern Yemen overnight.
The coalition began its air campaign in March 2015 in support of Yemeni President Abdu Rabu Mansour Hadi, whose government had been driven from the capital by Houthi rebels.
Rights groups have blamed both sides in the conflict of abuses.