The U.S. State Department says the U.S. “will take firm and appropriate measures” in response to any Syrian government violations in southwest Syria within the boundaries of the de-escalation zone.
The accord for the de-escalation pact was negotiated last year by the U.S., Jordan and Russia.
State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert said in a statement late Thursday the de-escalation pact and the cease-fire arrangement were initiatives by U.S. President Donald Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin “to de-escalate the Syrian conflict, save lives, and create conditions for the displaced to safely and voluntarily return to their homes.”
“A military offensive by the Syrian regime into this cease-fire zone would defy these initiatives,” Nauert said.
Nauert said the U.S. “remains committed to maintaining the stability of the southwest de-escalation zone and to the cease-fire underpinning it.”
The de-escalation zone borders Jordan and the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights. It is one of the remaining parts of the country still outside the control of the government of Bashar al-Assad.
Nauert said the “cease-fire must continue to be enforced and respected” and urged Russia “as a permanent member of the U.N. Security Council to use its diplomatic and military influence over the Syrian government to stop attacks and compel the government to cease further military offensives.”