Syria's official news agency says a fourth man involved in Tuesday's attempt to attack the U.S. embassy in Damascus has died of his injuries.
The news agency SANA quoted an unidentified official as saying the man, who was detained after being wounded in a firefight with Syrian security forces, died at a hospital late Tuesday.
The official said authorities were not able to question the man because he was in critical condition when taken to the hospital.
SANA says all four attackers were Syrians.
The other three attackers were killed in the fighting with Syrian security forces.
The United States has praised Syria's quick action to stop the attack. President Bush's spokesman Tony Snow says the United States is grateful that Syrian security forces moved in before any Americans were injured. He added that the incident should persuade Syria's leaders to join the United States and its allies in the war on terror.
U.S. praise for Syria is unusual, and VOA's State Department correspondent says the incident also resulted in some rare high-level diplomatic contacts between Damascus and Washington.
So far, there has been no claim of responsibility for the attack.
Some information for this report was provided by AFP, AP and Reuters.