NATO says says its forces accidentally killed three children and wounded several other civilians in an artillery strike Monday in eastern Afghanistan.
A NATO statement says insurgents attacked a patrol in Gayan district in Paktika province. It says troops accidentally struck a house in return fire.
In Kabul, meanwhile, hundreds of Afghans took to the streets Monday to protest the killing of three family members in a raid that protesters blamed on U.S.-led troops in the capital.
The U.S.-led coalition denied any involvement in the attack on the family's house.
Witnesses said a man and his two young sons were killed in the raid. They also said troops detained three people.
Afghan President Hamid Karzai has appealed to foreign forces to scale back air strikes on militant targets because of civilian casualties.
Mr. Karzai said he wants NATO and the U.S.-led coalition forces to use alternatives to air power in pursuit of militants.
Last week, Mr. Karzai ordered a review of foreign troops in Afghanistan after his administration said up to 90 civilians were killed in an air raid by the U.S.-led coalition in western Herat.
The U.S.-led coalition disputed that account, saying 25 militants and five civilians were killed when troops called in air strikes following an attack by militants.
The United Nations said it found "convincing evidence" of the higher death toll after an on-scene investigation.
Separately, U.S. military officials said Monday more than 220 suspected militants were killed in a military operation in Afghanistan's southern Helmand province last week.
Some information for this report was provided by AFP, AP and Reuters.