Accessibility links

Sudanese Official Says Foreign Aircraft Attacked Arms Convoy


A Sudanese official says foreign warplanes carried out a deadly attack on weapons smugglers as they drove through Sudan earlier this year.

Sudan's state minister for highways, Mabrouk Mubarak Saleem, has told various media that the convoy was bombed in eastern Sudan, and that the attack killed a number of Sudanese, Ethiopians, and Eritreans.

The U.S. television network CBS, which first reported the attack on Wednesday, put the death toll from the bombing at 39.

CBS reports that Israeli aircraft carried out the attack after learning the weapons were destined for the Gaza Strip, where Israel had been fighting the Palestinian group Hamas.

However, al-Jazeera television and Egyptian newspapers say the United States was responsible for the air strike.

Neither U.S. nor Israeli officials have commented on the reports. But in a speech Thursday, Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert said Israel will strike everywhere it can to maintain deterrence.

Sudan's Foreign Minister Deng Alor told reporters in Cairo Wednesday that he had no information on any attack.

Some information for this report was provided by AFP.

XS
SM
MD
LG