Indonesian President Megawati Sukarnoputri has flown to Bali, where a deadly car bomb late Saturday at a crowded tourist spot killed at least 182 people. Scores of people are gathering at hospitals and clinics to search for friends and relatives missing after the blast.
Hospital volunteers are posting lists of those injured, missing, or dead. Many of them are Australian or Western tourists. Dozens of people also gathered at the crater that just a day ago was one of the most popular holiday night clubs. Now it is a scene of devastation, strewn with glass and blood. Some, like Gustavo Basante from Uruguay, are grateful they are not among the dead. "I moved from one hotel half a block away. I moved to Seminyak last week, just for some reason, I don't know," he said.
Thousands of people are flooding the airport eager to get a flight home. The United States, Australia and several regional governments have condemned the attack as a despicable act of terror. Indonesian officials have said it is the worst act of terrorism in Indonesian history. But, so far, officials have not said who they believe carried out the attack.