Accessibility links

Confessed Norwegian Killer Insists He Is Sane

The Norwegian man behind the massacre of 77 people is telling an Oslo court he is not crazy.

Anders Behring Breivik said Wednesday that a report declaring him insane was based on "fabrications" by court appointed psychiatrists. He has previously said an insanity ruling would be "worse than death."

Breivik admits to killing 77 people in order to fight multi-culturalism in Norway and what he sees as a Muslim invasion of Europe.

Last week, Breivik described in chilling detail how he hunted down and shot to death 69 people last July at a political youth camp on an island outside Oslo.

He told a court filled with relatives of those he killed that at first he was hesitant to carry out his plan to shoot as many people as he could when he arrived on Utoya island. But he said the killing got easier once he shot his first victim in the head.

Breivik had already killed eight people by setting off a bomb at a government building in Oslo.

He said he planned the bombing after intensively researching other attacks throughout the world, including that of another anti-government terrorist, Timothy McVeigh in the United States. McVeigh, since executed, detonated a truck bomb in Oklahoma City in 1995 that killed 168 people and injured more than 600.

Norway does not have the death penalty, but if the court finds him guilty and sane, he will serve a maximum 21-year sentence, which could be extended if he were considered a continued danger.

Some information for this report was provided by AP, AFP and Reuters.

Show comments