Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi is promising to rebuild parts of central Italy after Sunday's 6.6 magnitude earthquake, Italy's most powerful quake in 36 years.
"Italy has many faults, but these situations bring out the best of us," Renzi said. "We will rebuild everything, the houses, the churches and the businesses. Everything that needs to be done to rebuild these areas will be done."
No one was reported killed Sunday, but at least 20 minor injuries were reported.
Many people had already fled that area after an August quake killed about 300 people, followed by two strong aftershocks last Wednesday.
Large boulders and rockslides blocked several highways, completely cutting off some villages from the outside. A nearly non-stop series of small aftershocks were making conditions difficult for emergency workers.
A picture shows a damaged campanile after a 6.6 magnitude earthquake in Norcia, Italy, Oct. 30, 2016.
14th century churches destroyed
Witnesses say a number of historic buildings were destroyed Sunday, including the 14th century Basilica of St. Benedict in the walled mountain town of Norcia. Pictures show only its facade emerging from the rubble. Benedictine monks prayed before the ruins.
Sunday's quake also knocked down the church of San Francesco, built by the Franciscans in the 14th century. It had already been rebuilt once following a powerful earthquake in 1859.
In Pictures: Earthquake in Central Italy
The U.S. National Geological Survey says Sunday's quake was centered near Norcia and was relatively shallow, at a depth of 10 kilometers, making it felt over a widespread area, and as far south as Rome, 90 kilometers to the south.
Schools will be closed in Rome Monday so buildings can be inspected for structural damage, according to the Rome municipality website.