Accessibility links

USA

9/11 Victim Compensation Fund to Undergo Changes

  • VOA News

FILE - President Barack Obama, first lady Michelle Obama and White House staff hold moment of silence in honor of 9/11 attack victims, Sept. 11, 2015.

FILE - President Barack Obama, first lady Michelle Obama and White House staff hold moment of silence in honor of 9/11 attack victims, Sept. 11, 2015.

The September 11 Victim Compensation Fund is set enter a new phase in the way it will function, the U.S. Justice Department said Wednesday.

Congress established the fund after the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001. It operated for two years, giving $6 billion to victims' families and $1 billion to the injured.

The fund was reopened in 2011 after Congress authorized the James Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act.

Since then, it has paid out more than $1.52 billion to first responders, recovery workers and residents who suffered physical harm or were killed as a result of the attacks.

The fund is set to undergo changes to its claim forms and requirements. The Justice Department said the changes, which include an extended deadline for filing claims and amended definitions of health conditions that are covered, are now available for public review and comment at the VCF website.

XS
SM
MD
LG