August 31, 2013 - Giant Magellan Telescope
We’ll learn about the new Giant Magellan Telescope that's being built in Chile - a super telescope that will produce celestial images 10 times sharper than the Hubble.
• Bird strikes are a hazard to aviation - most bird strikes go unreported, those that are, are investigated by a forensic team at the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History
• If you're a Star Trek fan, surely you remember Mr. Spock's Vulcan mind-meld... this past week scientists were able to do a real person to person mind meld.
• Scientists have created clumps of tissue in test tubes that are strikingly similar to actual developing brains.
• Researchers have successfully crippled aggressive cancer cells by disabling a single protein. This could lead to new treatments for some malignant cancers.
• Students heading back to school for a new year might need to add a new element to their periodic table of elements in chemistry class.