World News

30 Dead in Egypt After Football Case Verdict

Egyptian officials say at least 30 people were killed Saturday outside a prison in Port Said after a court sentenced nearly two dozen people to death over the country's deadliest football riot.

Clashes broke out Saturday between relatives of those sentenced to death and police guarding the prison where those convicted are being held. Scores of people were reported to have been injured in the clashes.

Military police filed into the streets to restore security.

Earlier, a court in Cairo handed down the death sentences to 21 people accused of taking part in violence at a football game last year in Port Said that killed 74 people.

Relatives of the deceased in the courtroom cried at the announcement of the verdict and shouted, "God is great."

The judge read out the names of all 21 people.

The verdict for the remaining 52 defendants in the case will be announced March 9.

As is customary in Egypt, the death sentences will be sent to a top religious authority, the Grand Mufti, for approval.

Feature Story

Warning sign on the Naharayim bridge spanning border of Israel and Jordan, north-eastern Israel, Oct. 22, 2014.

Jordan’s Battle With Islamic State Militants Carries Domestic Risks

Despite Western concerns that IS militants are preparing a Jordanian offensive, analysts call the kingdom's solid intel a strong deterrent More

Special Reports