World News

8 Dead in Egypt After Football Case Verdict

Egyptian officials say eight people, including two policeman, were killed Saturday outside a prison in Port Said after a court handed down death sentences over the country's deadliest football riot.

Clashes broke out Saturday between relatives of those sentenced to death and police guarding the prison where those convicted are being held. Scores of people were reported to have been injured in the clashes.

Earlier, a court in Cairo handed down death sentences to 21 people accused of taking part in violence at a football game last year in Port Said that killed 74 people.

Relatives of the deceased in the courtroom cried at the announcement of the verdict and shouted "God is great."

The judge read out the names of all 21 people.

The verdict for the remaining 52 defendants will be announced on March 9.

As is customary in Egypt, the death sentences will be sent to a top religious authority, the Grand Mufti, for approval.

Featured Story

FILE - Policemen near the damaged tiles inside the Bardo museum in Tunis, March 19, 2015.

Jihadist Assassin says Goal of Tunisia Murders Was Chaos

Abu Muqatil at-Tunusi’s remarks in a propaganda interview also cast light on attack on Bardo Museum More