North Korea says a Korean-American tourist, who has been held in prison since late last year, will face trial for committing crimes against the North.
The North's official Korean Central News Agency said Saturday that 44-year-old Kenneth Bae was arrested last November in the city of Rason.
The agency said Bae confessed to committing crimes aimed at toppling the government. The article did not detail the crimes Bae allegedly committed, but said his confession was corroborated by evidence.
The KCNA did not give the date of the trial, but said it would be "soon."
The North Korean announcement comes at a time of increased tensions on the Korean peninsula. North Korea has threatened nuclear strikes against South Korea and the United States in response to a tightening of sanctions against it in the wake of February's nuclear weapon's test.
Some information for this report was provided by AP, AFP and Reuters.