World News

Death Toll From Suspected Boko Haram Attack Up to 85

An official in northeastern Nigeria says the death toll from an attack by suspected Islamist militants has risen to 85.

Dala Lawan, a councilor in Nigeria's Borno state, told reporters Tuesday that at least 40 other people were injured in the attack late Sunday in the village of Kawori.

Witnesses say the attackers set off bombs near a market and burned down many homes.

It was one of two deadly attacks carried out by suspected Boko Haram militants on Sunday. At least 22 people were killed during an attack on a church in neighboring Adamawa state.



Both states are under a state of emergency imposed by President Goodluck Jonathan last May as part of efforts to fight Boko Haram.

The Islamist extremist group is believed to be fighting to turn northern Nigeria into a strict Islamist state. The group has been blamed for thousands of deaths since the start of its uprising in 2009.

Feature Story

An aerial view shows a thinned crowd of pro-democracy student protesters continuing to occupy the streets around the government complex in Hong Kong, Thursday, Oct. 2, 2014.

Chinese President's Risky Options for Dealing with Hong Kong Protests

So far, Beijing has refused to back down on its August 31 ruling that Hong Kong can hold its first direct election for its leader only if all candidates are strictly vetted by a nominating committee More

Special Reports