Officials from the Democratic Republic of Congo and Rwanda are blaming each other for a cross-border clash Wednesday that left five Congolese soldiers dead.
The DRC accuses Rwandan forces of crossing into North Kivu province, kidnapping and killing a Congolese soldier.
Rwanda says it was the Congolese troops who crossed into its territory and opened fire on its forces. The Rwandans fired back, killing four more Congolese soldiers.
The fighting lasted about four hours. The United Nations mission in Congo says it is investigating exactly what happened.
U.N.-backed Congolese forces defeated the rebel group M23 in strife-torn North Kivu last year. Rwanda denies U.N. allegations that it supported the rebels.
Some information for this report comes from AFP and Reuters.