World News

Egypt Launches Criminal Investigation of Morsi

Egyptian prosecutors launched a criminal investigation Saturday of the nation's first democratically elected leader.

State prosecutors said they had received complaints against deposed President Mohamed Morsi and and several other top members of the Muslim Brotherhood, including its leader, Mohamed Badie.

Mr. Morsi has been held at an undisclosed location since the army removed him from power on July 3, but he has not yet been charged with any crime.

The prosecutors would not say who filed the complaints, which include inciting violence, spying and ruining the economy.

Meanwhile, supporters of Egypt's ousted president remained in Cairo's Rabaa el-Adawiya Square on Saturday, determined to protest until Mr. Morsi is reinstated.

The protesters braved intense midday heat along with the effects of going without food and water for the daily Ramadan fast.



The United States has not called Mr. Morsi's ouster a coup. State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki called on the military Friday to free him from house arrest.

She gave no specific reason why the U.S. wants Mr. Morsi out of detention, but earlier this week the State Department criticized what it calls the military's politicized arrests of Muslim Brotherhood members.

Feature Story

An image grab taken from a video released by the Islamic State (IS) group through Al-Furqan Media via YouTube allegedly shows British freelance photojournalist, John Cantlie, at an undisclosed location in which he says he is being held captive, Sept. 18,

British Journalist John Cantlie Purportedly Shown in IS Video

In three-minute YouTube video, orange-clad man promises to 'convey some facts' in a series of 'programs,' about jihadist group More

Special Reports