News

German Military Chief Resigns Over Afghan Air Strike

German Defense Minister Karl Theodor zu Guttenberg says Army Inspector General Wolfgang Schneiderhan failed to provide adequate information about the incident in which civilians were killed.

Germany's top army officer has resigned over an investigation into a September air strike in Afghanistan in which civilians were among those killed.

German Defense Minister Karl Theodor zu Guttenberg announced Thursday that General Wolfgang Schneiderhan had resigned.  Guttenberg told parliament that Schneiderhan failed to provide adequate information about the incident.

An Afghan government-appointed commission said 30 civilians were killed in the September 4 air strike in northern Kunduz province.  A commission investigator says 69 Taliban members were also killed after a German commander ordered the NATO strike on militants who had seized two fuel trucks.  Initial NATO investigations indicated that civilians were among the victims.

Some information for this report provided by AFP, AP and Reuters.

This forum has been closed.
Comments
     
There are no comments in this forum. Be first and add one

Feature Story

An aerial view shows a thinned crowd of pro-democracy student protesters continuing to occupy the streets around the government complex in Hong Kong, Thursday, Oct. 2, 2014.

Chinese President's Risky Options for Dealing with Hong Kong Protests

So far, Beijing has refused to back down on its August 31 ruling that Hong Kong can hold its first direct election for its leader only if all candidates are strictly vetted by a nominating committee More

Special Reports