Guinea is postponing Sunday's second-round presidential election.
Electoral Commission spokesman Thierno Ceydou Bayo says the vote has been postponed, in part, because Guinea is awaiting delivery of 450,000 new polling cards that are scheduled to arrive Sunday or Monday.
The decision to delay this second-round run-off between former prime minister Cellou Diallo and long-time opposition leader Alpha Conde came after interim Prime Minister Jean-Marie Dore met with both candidates.
No new date for the vote was announced. Bayo says the electoral commission needs two weeks to prepare well.
Prospects for delaying the vote rose when the electoral commission suspended campaigning Sunday following two days of violence between Diallo and Conde supporters.
The clashes followed last week's conviction of two senior electoral officials accused of falsifying results from June's first round of voting.
Conde's party brought the charges against the electoral commission president and his head of planning, who were found guilty of withholding results from some polling stations. Diallo's party says the court decision was meant to disrupt the electoral commission and delay Sunday's vote in which Diallo is seen as the frontrunner.
The convicted electoral commission president died Tuesday in Paris after an undisclosed illness, further complicating this week's preparations for the vote.
Acting military ruler General Sekouba Konate has been trying to return Guinea to civilian rule nearly two years after Captain Moussa Dadis Camara took power in a military coup. General Konate Wednesday reaffirmed his support for the electoral process and says the military will support whoever emerges as the winner.