News / Africa

Guinea Electoral Commission to Decide New Date for Vote

Guinean soldiers remove boxes filled with electoral materials from a warehouse on fire in a military camp in Conakry, 16 Sep 2010
Guinean soldiers remove boxes filled with electoral materials from a warehouse on fire in a military camp in Conakry, 16 Sep 2010

Guinea's Electoral Commission will meet again with interim Prime Minister Jean-Marie Dore to try to find a new date for the country's postponed presidential election. Members of the electoral commission say they are hopeful this meeting will produce a new date for the poll after the commission failed to meet with Prime Minister Dore late Thursday.

Guinea's presidential run-off was postponed and all campaigning suspended after two days of violence between supporters of former prime minister Cellou Diallo and long-time opposition leader Alpha Conde. Police used tear gas to break up clashes that followed last week's conviction of two senior electoral officials found guilty of falsifying results from June's first round of voting.

Conde's campaign director Makale Traore says there is no point rushing ahead with a vote that would be so flawed people will reject its outcome.

Traore says everyone now understands that it is more important to correct the irregularities than to fix a date. Traore says Conde's party wants to have transparent elections when all the flaws have been corrected, so the results of the vote will be accepted by all Guineans.

Voter M'Mah Camara says she was happy that the vote has been postponed.

Camara says nothing is organized for the vote, so having an election now would not be good for the country or its people. Guinea has already suffered enough, she says. It is better to give the electoral commission one or two weeks to better prepare.

The electoral commission itself says it is not ready for the vote because it is still waiting for the delivery of 450,000 new polling cards and is rushing to establish more than 1,000 new polling stations for voters in rural areas.

Voter Abdou Diaby says these logistical delays undermine the commission's credibility

Diaby says an institution like the National Independent Electoral Commission has every means the State has provided - financial means and logistics. Even so this institution is behaving like this. It's shameful, he says. It's humiliating.

Cellou Diallo supporters say Alpha Conde's campaign wants the poll delayed because Diallo won more than twice as many votes as Conde in the first round, making him the clear frontrunner in this head-to-head run-off.

Mamadou Bah Baddikoo, the spokesman for the alliance of political parties backing Diallo, says the law needs to be respected for elections to take place. He says Conde's campaign should stop their delaying tactics and that it's not possible to come out each morning with a new request to delay the elections indefinitely. He says it's not solely up to the candidates to impose conditions which vary all the time. Baddikoo says the Guinean people have been waiting for this election for a long time and it's time for equivocations to stop.

Voter Salematou Bangoura agrees that Sunday's vote should have gone ahead as planned.

Bangoura says delaying the vote is not good because people now really want to have a new president. After everything that has happened in Guinea, the country needs a new president, a new president who will help young people.

This vote is meant to return the country to constitutional order after nearly two years of military rule. The acting military chief, General Sekouba Konate, has reaffirmed his support for the electoral process and says soldiers will back whomever emerges as the winner.

You May Like

Video Experts Warn World Losing Ebola Fight

Doctors Without Borders says world is losing battle against Ebola, unless wealthy nations dispatch specialized biological disaster response teams More

Video Experts: Rise of Islamic State Significant Development in Jihadism

Many analysts contend the group - which grew out of al-Qaida in Iraq - has been rebuilding for years More

US-Based Hong Kongers Pledge Support for Pro-Democracy Activists

Democracy advocates call on Chinese living abroad to join them in opposing new election rules for their home territory More

This forum has been closed.
Comments
     
There are no comments in this forum. Be first and add one

Featured Videos

Your JavaScript is turned off or you have an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.
Larger Than Life Chinese Lanterns Make Southern California Appearancei
X
Elizabeth Lee
September 02, 2014 8:57 PM
Chinese lanterns with a long history are lighting up in 21st century style at the Los Angeles County Fair in southern California. Visitors can see traditional lanterns that hang, but also lanterns in the shape of animals, iconic landmarks and many other objects, all created by artisans from a place in China known for its lanterns. Elizabeth Lee has the details from the fair in the city of Pomona.
Video

Video Larger Than Life Chinese Lanterns Make Southern California Appearance

Chinese lanterns with a long history are lighting up in 21st century style at the Los Angeles County Fair in southern California. Visitors can see traditional lanterns that hang, but also lanterns in the shape of animals, iconic landmarks and many other objects, all created by artisans from a place in China known for its lanterns. Elizabeth Lee has the details from the fair in the city of Pomona.
Video

Video Experts See Rise of ISIS as Significant Development

The Islamic State’s rise seems sudden. It caught the U.S. by surprise this summer when it captured large portions of northern Iraq and spread its wings in neighboring Syria. But many analysts contend that the group - which grew out of al-Qaida in Iraq - has been rebuilding for years. VOA's Jela de Franceschi takes a closer look at the rise of ISIS and its implications for the Middle East and beyond.
Video

Video Israel Concerned Over Syrian Rebels in Golan

Israeli officials are following with concern the recent fighting between Syrian rebels and government forces near the contested Golan Heights. Forty-four U.N. peacekeepers from Fiji have been seized by Syrian Islamist rebels and the clashes occasionally have spilled into Israel. VOA’s Scott Bobb reports from Jerusalem.
Video

Video Ukraine Schools Resume Classes, Donate to Government Forces

A new school year has started in Ukraine but thousands of children in the war-torn east are unable to attend because of ongoing clashes with pro-Russia rebels. In Ukraine's capital, patriotic education has become the norm along with donations to support injured security forces fighting to take back rebel-held areas. VOA's Daniel Schearf reports from Kyiv.
Video

Video US Detainees Want Negotiators for Freedom in North Korea

The three U.S. detainees held in North Korea were permitted to speak with foreign media Monday. The government of Kim Jong Un restricted the topics of the questions, and the interviews in Pyongyang were limited to five minutes. Each of the men asked Washington to send a representative to Pyongyang to secure his release. VOA’s Carolyn Presutti has our story.
Video

Video Turkmen From Amerli Describe Survival of IS Siege

Over the past few weeks, hundreds of Shi'ite Turkmen have fled the town of Amerli seeking refuge in the northern city of Kirkuk. Despite recent military gains after U.S. airstrikes that were coordinated with Iraqi and Kurdish forces, the situation remains dire for Amerli’s residents. Sebastian Meyer went to Kirkuk for VOA to speak to those who managed to escape.
Video

Video West Africa Ebola Vaccine Trials Possible by Early 2015

A U.S. health agency is speeding up clinical trials of a possible vaccine against the deadly Ebola virus that so far has killed more than 1,500 people in West Africa. If successful, the next step would be a larger trial in countries where the outbreak is occurring. VOA's Carol Pearson has more.
Video

Video Survivors Commemorate 70th Anniversary of Nazi Liquidation of Jewish Ghetto

When the German Nazi army occupied the Polish city of Lodz in 1939, it marked the beginning of a long nightmare for the Jewish community that once made up one third of the population. Roughly 200,000 people were forced into the Lodz Ghetto. Less than 7,000 survived. As VOA’s Kane Farabaugh reports, some survivors gathered at the Union League Club in Chicago on the 70th anniversary of the liquidation of the Lodz Ghetto to remember those who suffered at the hands of the Nazi regime.

AppleAndroid