News / Asia

Indian Police Charge TV Channel for Rape Interview

Indians sing devotional songs during a gathering to mourn the death of a 23-year old rape victim in New Delhi, India, Jan. 5, 2013.
Indians sing devotional songs during a gathering to mourn the death of a 23-year old rape victim in New Delhi, India, Jan. 5, 2013.
VOA News
Renewed protests against public apathy and police incompetence erupted in India Saturday after the boyfriend of the New Delhi gang rape victim recounted witnessing the gruesome crime. Police are refuting his claims.

The male companion of the Indian woman who died last week from her injuries sustained in the attack told the French news agency and India's Zee TV Friday that it took 25 minutes for anyone to stop and help him and his friend after they were dumped naked and bleeding on the side of the road.   

The man, whose identity is being withheld for legal purposes, also said that when the police arrived, they spent time arguing about who had jurisdiction over the crime and took the couple to a hospital that was not the closest one available.

The Joint Commissioner of Delhi Police, Vivel Gogia, defended the speed of the police response, telling reporters Saturday that police took less than 30 minutes to get the couple to the hospital after the distress call.

"These findings have been ascertained through the logs generated by the multi-computer configuration global positioning system," said Gogia.

The deputy leader of India's main opposition Bharatiya Janata Party, Ravi Shankar Prasad, condemned the police Saturday for their alleged delay.

"The BJP would like to know as to what kind of teachings and training the government of India has given to its police in Delhi. Saving the life of critically injured people is more important or fighting over jurisdiction is more important?" said Prasad.
 
India's New Fast-Track Court

  • Inaugurated January 2, 2013 by India's chief justice
  • Will try sexual offense cases against women
  • Will hear cases on a daily basis
  • Is the first of five fast-track courts that will deal with rape
  • Located in the district court complex in New Delhi
Indian authorities have charged five men with murder, rape, kidnapping and other charges in the December 16 attack.

Officials say they will push for the death penalty if the men are convicted. A sixth suspect is under 18 and will be tried separately in a juvenile court.

The two victims were both beaten with a rod on the bus.  The woman was raped, and a rod was used in the rape.

The unidentified woman died last Saturday in a hospital in Singapore, where she had been taken for treatment. Her father has backed calls to hang the men charged if they are convicted.

The Zee interview marked the first time the man, who has not been named, has spoken publicly about the December 16 attack.

Indian police also said Saturday they have filed a case against Zee TV because the interview could lead to the identification of the rape victim, breaking a law entitling her to anonymity.

The Committee to Protect Journalists has urged Indian officials to refrain from pressing the charges against Zee. Bob Dietz, CPJ's Asia program coordinator said "authorities are hardly protecting the victim's rights by retaliating against news media that are bringing to light details of the horrific crime."

India has set up a so-called "fast-track" court to try the men accused of the crimes. The fast-track court is one of five being set up in New Delhi, known by some as the "rape capital" of India. The courts will hear cases of sexual assault and other crimes against women in an effort to bypass India's overwhelmed regular court system, where cases can often take many years to be resolved.

You May Like

Karzai's Legacy: Missed Opportunities?

Afghanistan's president leaves behind a much different nation than the one he inherited, yet his legacy from 13 years in power is getting mixed reviews More

Video Secret Service Chief Under Fire for White House Security Breach

Julia Pierson faces tough questions from lawmakers after recent intrusion at White House, says: 'It is clear that our security plan was not executed properly' More

Frustrated, Liberian Students Want Ebola Fight Role

Thousands have volunteered to go to counties, rural villages to talk to people in their language about deadly virus More

This forum has been closed.
Comment Sorting
Comments
     
by: Suresh Agarwal from: Florida, USA
January 06, 2013 6:42 AM
I read sixth rapist may be a juvanile. His age being ascertained by bone marrow examination. It means even if he is juvanile, he may be borderline case.

If this sixth person can rape a 23 year old woman and participate in murder, imagine what type of monster he will be later. I think he should be tried as an adult.


by: sunil sharmer from: usa
January 05, 2013 3:33 PM
Indian police disgusts me, and what punishment wll they get?

In Response

by: Hannah from: Mumbai
January 05, 2013 7:08 PM
Police are useless, no common sense, where do they get their training from? Why send the victim to Singapore? Are Indian Doctors not qualified enough? My condolences to the victim's family may her sole rest in peace and may the six rapists rot in hell!

Featured Videos

Your JavaScript is turned off or you have an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.
Malaysia Struggles to Stop People Joining Jihadi
X
Mahi Ramakrishnan
September 30, 2014 2:16 PM
Malaysian authorities say militant groups like the so-called "Islamic State" have used social media to entice at least three dozen Malaysian Muslims to fight in what they call "jihad" in Syria and Iraq. As Mahi Ramkrishnan reports from Kuala Lumpur, counterterrorism police are deeply worried about what could happen when these militants return home.
Video

Video Malaysia Struggles to Stop People Joining Jihad

Malaysian authorities say militant groups like the so-called "Islamic State" have used social media to entice at least three dozen Malaysian Muslims to fight in what they call "jihad" in Syria and Iraq. As Mahi Ramkrishnan reports from Kuala Lumpur, counterterrorism police are deeply worried about what could happen when these militants return home.
Video

Video Could US Have Done More to Stop Rise of Islamic State?

President Obama says airstrikes against Islamic State militants in Syria will likely continue for some time because, in his words, "there is a cancer that has grown for too long." So what if President Obama had acted sooner in Syria to arm more-moderate opponents of both the Islamic State and the Syrian government? VOA State Department Correspondent Scott Stearns reports from the United Nations.
Video

Video Treasure Hunters Seek 'Hidden Treasure' in Central Kenya

Could a cave in a small village in central Kenya be the site of buried treasure? A rumor of riches, left behind by colonialists, has some residents dreaming of wealth, while others see it as a dangerous hoax. VOA's Gabe Joselow has the story.
Video

Video Iran's Rouhani Skeptical on Syria Strikes

Iranian President Hassan Rouhani expressed skepticism Friday that U.S.-led airstrikes in Iraq and Syria could crush Islamic State militants. From New York, VOA’s Margaret Besheer reports the president was also hopeful that questions about Iran’s nuclear program could be resolved soon.
Video

Video US House Speaker: Congress Should Debate Authorization Against IS

As wave after wave of U.S. airstrikes target Islamic State militants, the speaker of the Republican-controlled House of Representatives says he would be willing to call Congress back into session to debate a formal, broad authorization for the use of military force. VOA’s Michael Bowman reports from Washington, where legislators left town 10 days ago for a seven-week recess.
Video

Video Ebola Patients Find No Treatment at Sierra Leone Holding Center

At a holding facility in Makeni, central Sierra Leone, dozens of sick people sit on the floor in an empty university building. They wait in filthy conditions. It's a 16-hour drive by ambulance to Kailahun Ebola treatment center. Adam Bailes was there and reports on what he says are some of the worst situations he has seen since the beginning of this Ebola outbreak. And he says it appears case numbers may already be far worse than authorities acknowledge.
Video

Video Identifying Bodies Found in Texas Border Region

Thousands of immigrants have died after crossing the border from Mexico into remote areas of the southwestern United States in recent years. Local officials in south Texas alone have found hundreds of unidentified bodies and buried them in mass graves in local cemeteries. Now an anthropologist and her students at Baylor University have been exhuming bodies and looking for clues to identify them. VOA’s Greg Flakus has more from Waco, Texas.
Video

Video Ebola Robs Liberians of Chance to Say Good-Bye to Loved Ones

In Liberia, where Ebola has killed more than 1,500 people, authorities have worked hard to convince people to allow specialized burial teams to take away dead bodies. But these safety measures, while necessary, make it hard for people to say good bye to their loved ones. VOA's Anne Look reports on the tragedy from Liberia.
Colonel Steve ‘Spiros’ Pisanos left Greece and came to the U.S. to learn to fly. He flew fighters for the Allies in World War II, narrowly escaping death multiple times.Colonel Steve ‘Spiros’ Pisanos left Greece and came to the U.S. to learn to fly. He flew fighters for the Allies in World War II, narrowly escaping death multiple times.

AppleAndroid