Italian officials say that an Italian engineer kidnapped in central Nigeria earlier this week has been freed.
Italian Foreign Minister Giulio Terzi announced Friday the release of Modesto di Girolamo. He told the Ansa news agency that he is satisfied with the positive outcome and that the foreign ministry had "maximum cooperation" from the Nigerian authorities.
Di Girolamo's family has been informed of his release.
The Italian construction engineer was abducted in Kwara state. His company, Borini & Prono, is building a road there. Earlier officials said he was kidnapped Monday afternoon by an unidentified group of armed men.
Details of his release were not immediately available.
Kidnappings are frequent in oil-rich Nigeria, which is fraught with corruption, and religious and ethnic tensions.
Some information for this report was provided by AFP.