News / Asia

Khmer Rouge Tribunal Moves Forward Without 2 Defendants

In this photo released by the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia, Nuon Chea listens to testimony during his trial at the U.N.-backed war crimes tribunal in Phnom Penh, March 20, 2012.
In this photo released by the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia, Nuon Chea listens to testimony during his trial at the U.N.-backed war crimes tribunal in Phnom Penh, March 20, 2012.
Robert Carmichael
The United Nations-backed tribunal investigating Cambodia's murderous Khmer Rouge movement was forced to cancel its hearings last week after two of the three defendants were taken to the hospital. The latest health scares have renewed fears about the case against the accused, all of whom are in their 80s.

Eighty-six-year-old Nuon Chea was taken to a Phnom Penh hospital January 13 after he collapsed at the tribunal’s detention facility. Nuon Chea, who is regarded as the Khmer Rouge’s chief ideologue, is being treated for acute bronchitis.

Former Khmer Rouge Nuon Chea, former President Khieu Samphan and former FM Ieng Sary (L-R) attend their trial at the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC), November 21, 2011.Former Khmer Rouge Nuon Chea, former President Khieu Samphan and former FM Ieng Sary (L-R) attend their trial at the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC), November 21, 2011.
x
Former Khmer Rouge Nuon Chea, former President Khieu Samphan and former FM Ieng Sary (L-R) attend their trial at the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC), November 21, 2011.
Former Khmer Rouge Nuon Chea, former President Khieu Samphan and former FM Ieng Sary (L-R) attend their trial at the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC), November 21, 2011.
Three days later, the former head of state, Khieu Samphan, who at 81 is the youngest defendant, was taken to the same hospital suffering from fatigue and shortness of breath.  

Both men have waived their right to be present in court. In their absence, the tribunal is hearing arguments about which documents the prosecution and the defense wish to introduce as evidence.

On Monday, the court asked Nuon Chea’s international defense lawyer, Victor Koppe, for an update on the condition of his client.

“The health situation is deteriorating though - so that’s troublesome - but there’s no change in respect to the waiver issue," he said.

The third defendant, former foreign minister Ieng Sary, who is 87, remains at the detention facility. Ieng Sary is widely seen as the most frail of the accused.

The age of the three has long been a major concern, and January’s health scares have reignited fears that one or more of the men might die during trial.

Anne Heindel, a legal adviser with the Documentation Center of Cambodia, the country’s leading genocide research organization, said, "Well, this is of major significance because all three accused are elderly and have health concerns, and there are only three accused in this trial and now two are in the hospital.”

The three are the surviving leaders of the Khmer Rouge, the Communist movement headed by Pol Pot that ruled Cambodia between 1975 and 1979. In that time an estimated two  million people - or one in four Cambodians - died from execution, starvation, illness or overwork.

Heindel says the trial represents the only chance to hold the leadership of the Khmer Rouge to account.

"However, the fewer accused that you have and the less crimes that are discussed during a trial, and certainly if judgment’s never reached, then the opportunity to tell a story about crimes during a particular period gets smaller and smaller," she said.

The case against the ex-leaders already has lost one defendant. Late last year, 80-year-old Ieng Thirith, the former social affairs minister, was ruled mentally unfit to stand trial. She is believed to have Alzheimer’s disease.

The defendants all deny charges of genocide, war crimes and crimes against humanity. Given the complexity of the case, the age of the defendants and their health, the tribunal divided it into a series of smaller trials to run consecutively.

That means in theory the court could hand down judgments as it proceeds. In so doing, it would reduce the risk that one or more of the defendants died without a ruling being issued - as happened at the trial of the former Serbian president Slobodan Milosevic. Defendants who die before judgment is rendered cannot be convicted.

The first mini-trial, which is ongoing, got under way in late 2011. It is examining the alleged crimes against humanity in the forced movement of people in 1975 during which the prosecution says thousands died.

Other crimes on the charge sheet - including genocide, war crimes, collectivization, forced labor camps and slavery - are meant to be tackled in the subsequent mini-trials.

Heindel says it looks increasingly likely that this first mini-trial will take the rest of the year. Few observers believe the second, third or fourth mini-trials ever will be heard.

"It’s extraordinarily unlikely - and has been seen as unlikely even before these recent health concerns were raised - that there would be additional trials. So it’s looking more and more remote that these accused will ever be prosecuted for some of the most pressing crimes of that era - meaning those that survivors remember and feel the most distressed about," said Heindel.

This month’s health scares have highlighted a pressing question: whether all three defendants will even live long enough to hear judgment handed down in their first mini-trial.

You May Like

Turkey: No Ransom Paid for Release of Hostages Held by IS Militants

President Erdogan hails release of hostages as diplomatic success but declines to be drawn on whether their release freed Ankara's hand to take more active stance against insurgents More

Audio Sierra Leone Ends Ebola Lockdown

Health ministry says it has reached 75 percent of its target of visiting 1.5 million homes to locate infected, educate population about virus More

US Pivot to Asia Demands Delicate Balancing Act

As the tumult in the Middle East distracts Obama, shifting American focus eastward appears threatened More

Featured Videos

Your JavaScript is turned off or you have an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.
Natural Gas Export Plan Divides Maryland Towni
X
Deborah Block
September 21, 2014 2:12 PM
A U.S. power company that has been importing natural gas now wants to export it. If approved, its plant in Lusby, Maryland, would likely be the first terminal on the United States East Coast to export liquefied natural gas from American pipelines. While some residents welcome the move because it will create jobs, others oppose it, saying the expansion could be a safety and environmental hazard. VOA’s Deborah Block examines the controversy.
Video

Video Natural Gas Export Plan Divides Maryland Town

A U.S. power company that has been importing natural gas now wants to export it. If approved, its plant in Lusby, Maryland, would likely be the first terminal on the United States East Coast to export liquefied natural gas from American pipelines. While some residents welcome the move because it will create jobs, others oppose it, saying the expansion could be a safety and environmental hazard. VOA’s Deborah Block examines the controversy.
Video

Video Difficult Tactical Battle Ahead Against IS Militants in Syria

The U.S. president has ordered the military to intensify its fight against the Islamic State, including in Syria. But how does the military conduct air strikes in a country that is not a U.S. ally? VOA correspondent Carla Babb reports from the Pentagon.
Video

Video Iran, World Powers Seek Progress in Nuclear Talks

Iran and the five permanent members of the U.N. Security Council plus Germany, known as the P5 + 1, have started a new round of talks on Iran's nuclear program. VOA State Department correspondent Pam Dockins reports that as the negotiations take place in New York, a U.S. envoy is questioning Iran's commitment to peaceful nuclear activity.
Video

Video Alibaba Shares Soar in First Day of Trading

China's biggest online retailer hit the market Friday -- with its share price soaring on the New York Stock Exchange. The shares were priced at $68, but trading stalled at the opening, as sellers held onto their shares, waiting for buyers to bid up the price. More on the world's biggest initial public offering from VOA’s Bernard Shusman in New York.
Video

Video Obama Goes to UN With Islamic State, Ebola on Agenda

President Obama goes to the United Nations General Assembly to rally nations to support a coalition against Islamic State militants in Iraq and Syria. He also will look for nations to back his plan to fight the Ebola virus in West Africa. As VOA White House correspondent Luis Ramirez reports, Obama’s efforts reflect new moves by the U.S. administration to take a leading role in addressing world crises.
Video

Video Migrants Caught in No-Man's Land Called Calais

The deaths of hundreds of migrants in the Mediterranean this week has only recast the spotlight on the perils of reaching Europe. And for those forunate enough to reach a place like Calais, France, only find that their problems aren't over. Lisa Bryant has the story.
Video

Video Westgate Siege Anniversary Brings Back Painful Memories

One year after it happened, the survivors of the terror attack on Nairobi's Westgate Shopping Mall still cannot shake the images of that tragic incident. For VOA, Mohammed Yusuf tells the story of victims still waiting for the answer to the question 'how could this happen?'
Video

Video Militant Assault in Syria Displaces Thousands of Kurds

A major assault by Islamic State militants on Kurds in Syria has sent a wave of new refugees to the Turkish border, where they were stopped by Turkish border security. Turkey is already hosting about 700,000 Syrian refugees who fled the civil war between the government and the opposition. But the government in Ankara has a history of strained relations with Turkey's Kurdish minority. Zlatica Hoke reports Turkey is asking for international help.
Video

Video Whaling Summit Votes to Uphold Ban on Japan Whale Hunt

The International Whaling Commission, meeting in Slovenia, has voted to uphold a court ruling banning Japan from hunting whales in the Antarctic Ocean. Conservationists hailed the ruling as a victory, but Tokyo says it will submit revised plans for a whale hunt in 2015. Henry Ridgwell reports from London.
Video

Video A Dinosaur Fit for Land and Water

Residents and tourists in Washington D.C. can now examine a life-size replica of an unusual dinosaur that lived almost a hundred million years ago in northern Africa. Scientists say studying the behemoth named Spinosaurus helps them better understand how some prehistoric animals adapted to life on land and in water. The Spinosaurus replica is on display at the National Geographic museum. VOA’s George Putic has more.
Video

Video Iraqi Kurdistan Church Helps Christian Children Cope find shelter in churches in the Kurdish capital, Irbil

In the past six weeks, tens of thousands of Iraqi Christians have been forced to flee their homes by Islamic State militants and find shelter in churches in the Kurdish capital, Irbil. Despite U.S. airstrikes in the region, the prospect of people returning home is still very low and concerns are starting to grow over the impact this is having on the displaced youth. Sebastian Meyer reports from Irbil on how one church is coping.


Carnage and mayhem are part of daily life in northern Nigeria, the result of a terror campaign by the Islamist group Boko Haram. Fears are growing that Nigeria’s government may not know how to counter it, and may be making things worse. More

AppleAndroid