Fighting between Congolese soldiers and the M23 rebel group has erupted for a second day in eastern parts of the Democratic Republic of Congo.
The United Nations mission in Congo says the fighting is taking place in the North Kivu province. A mission spokesman tells VOA the unrest resumed late Saturday after a period of calm earlier in the day.
The fighting broke out just days after peace talks between the government and M23 broke down.
The talks in Uganda were suspended last week when the two sides failed to reach an agreement on amnesty for the rebels and their reintegration into the armed forces.
Both sides accuse the other of starting the latest fighting.
The U.S. State Department says it is concerned about the new fighting. A statement urged all parties to return to the negotiation table "to overcome remaining hurdles to the signing of a final, principled peace agreement, which would establish a permanent cease-fire and hold accountable those who have committed serious crimes."
The U.N. mission says it has confirmed reports of mass executions of civilians, including children, and other human rights violations.
M23 is made up of rebel fighters who joined the Congolese army in a 2009 peace deal but later defected. They accuse the government of poor treatment and failing to live up to its peace agreement.