Eight more opposition groups have formally asked Iranian authorities for permission to hold a rally on the June 12 anniversary of last year's disputed presidential election.
Opposition groups said Wednesday they had sent a written request to Iran's Interior Ministry, days after the two main opposition groups sought permission from authorities.
Among the eight groups are the Islamic Iran Participation Front and the Organization of the Islamic Revolution Mujahedeen, two parties whose activities have been banned by the government.
On Monday, the opposition website "Sahamnews" said opposition leaders Mir Hossein Mousavi and Mehdi Karroubi sent a joint letter to Tehran's provincial governor on asking for a permit.
The two ran in last year's presidential election, which returned President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to power. The opposition accuses Mr. Ahmadinejad of rigging the election, and says Mr. Mousavi should have won.
The results sparked massive street protests. More than 80 people were sentenced to prison terms of up to 15 years in connection with the demonstrations. Several other activists face death sentences.
Iranian media report that the government pardoned 81 people Wednesday who were being detained in connection to post-election violence.
Some information for this report was provided by AFP.