News / Asia

NATO: No Evidence of Afghan Misconduct Claims

Afghanistan presidential spokesman Aimal Faizi addressing press conference regarding Wardak province, Kabul, Feb. 24, 2013.
Afghanistan presidential spokesman Aimal Faizi addressing press conference regarding Wardak province, Kabul, Feb. 24, 2013.
TEXT SIZE - +
Ayaz Gul
— The NATO-led coalition in Afghanistan says it has found no evidence to support Afghan allegations of misconduct by U.S. Special Forces stationed in a strategic central province bordering Kabul.
 
In an unprecedented move on Sunday, Afghan President Hamid Karzai gave U.S. Special Forces two weeks to leave Wardak province, west of Kabul, citing allegations that local Afghan forces working with foreign partners in the region are torturing and abusing Afghan citizens.

But General Gunter Katz, spokesman for the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF), told reporters in Kabul Monday the accusations are unfounded.
 
"There have been various allegations of special forces conducting themselves in an unprofessional manner in Maiden Wardak," he said, stating the coalition takes all allegations of misconduct seriously and thoroughly investigates facts surrounding them. "So far, we could not find evidence that would support these allegations. ISAF will work with representative of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan to find a solution to the concerns of the [Afghan] citizens."
 
Katz avoided commentary on the specific nature of the allegations, saying it would be inappropriate to discuss them further before coalition officials meet with their partners in the Afghan government.
 
President Karzai issued a decree ordering U.S. Special Forces to leave Wardak province after discussing the issue earlier Sunday with his National Security Council. A presidential statement cited two recent examples of alleged misconduct by U.S. Special Forces or their allied Afghan militias in Wardak. In one incident, it said nine people disappeared during an operation by what it called a "suspicious force," while in the other, the tortured body of a student was found two days after he was "taken away at night from his home."
 
Karzai's office said the U.S. military denied any involvement in such cases. It said Afghan security forces will bring to justice those responsible for the abuses and urged local residents to help identify the culprits.
 
According to presidential spokesman Aimal Faizi, the allegations stem from counter-insurgency operations NATO has conducted recently in the strategically important central Afghan province with the help of local personnel. Karzai's decree, Faizi said, was based on detailed government investigations into charges that armed individuals who are part of a U.S. special force deployed in the area engaged in "harassing, annoying, torturing and even murdering innocent people."
 
Faizi claimed that top officials, including the provincial governor and speaker of the parliament's upper house, are among those who provided evidence to the president.
 
"According to them and the evidence they have provided so for to the officials in the government, it shows that these operations are conducted by the U.S. Special Forces and there are some Afghans working within these Special Forces' groups and in the operations which have taken place in the province," he said. "But they are part of the U.S. special forces, according to our sources and according to our local officials there in the province."
 
Meanwhile, Afghanistan's defense ministry said in a statement Monday that Afghan forces are ready to assume security responsibilities in Wardak province following the pullout of foreign forces. The ministry vowed to implement the presidential decree to "make sure" all U.S. Special Forces leave the province within the stipulated time period.
 
Earlier this month, Karzai issued a decree banning Afghan security forces from calling in NATO air strikes while battling insurgents in residential areas, in order to prevent civilian casualties.
 
The U.S.-led coalition plans to withdraw most combat troops from Afghanistan by the end of next year. The United States is in talks with the Afghan government to allow some U.S. forces to remain in the country past 2014. But observers fear the latest move could complicate those negations.
 
It is not clear how a pullout of U.S. Special Forces from the province would affect the fight against the Taliban.
 
NATO troops have facilities in Wardak. But Afghan government forces already have taken a security lead in some parts of the province as part of a NATO plan to withdraw most of its troops from the country by the end of 2014. Taliban attacks in Wardak also have declined in recent months.
 
Wardak's population is predominantly Pashtun, the same ethnic group as the Taliban.
 
Some information for this report was provided by AP and AFP.

You May Like

Video Pope Francis Hopes Dual Canonizations Will Reconcile Church

John the XXIII and John Paul II will be made saints in a ceremony at St. Peter’s Square on April 27 More

Thailand Reacts to Plots Targeting Israelis

Authorities hope arrest of two Lebanese suspects will disrupt plot to attack young Israeli tourists More

Video In Capturing Nature's Majesty, Film Makes Case for Its Survival

'Once Upon a Forest' takes viewers deep into heart of tropical rainforest More

This forum has been closed.
Comments
     
There are no comments in this forum. Be first and add one

Featured Videos

Your JavaScript is turned off or you have an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.
Pope Francis Hopes Dual Canonizations Will Reconcile Churchi
|| 0:00:00
...
 
🔇
X
Jerome Socolovsky
April 22, 2014 4:14 PM
On April 27, two popes - John the XXIII and John Paul II - will be made saints in a ceremony at St. Peter’s Square. VOA religion correspondent Jerome Socolovsky says the dual canonization is part of the current pope’s program to reconcile liberals and conservatives in the Roman Catholic Church.
Video

Video Pope Francis Hopes Dual Canonizations Will Reconcile Church

On April 27, two popes - John the XXIII and John Paul II - will be made saints in a ceremony at St. Peter’s Square. VOA religion correspondent Jerome Socolovsky says the dual canonization is part of the current pope’s program to reconcile liberals and conservatives in the Roman Catholic Church.
Video

Video In Capturing Nature's Majesty, Film Makes Case for Its Survival

French filmmaker Luc Jacquet won worldwide acclaim for his 2005 Academy Award-winning documentary "March of the Penguins". Now Jacquet is back with a new film that takes movie-goers deep into the heart of a tropical rainforest - not only to celebrate its grandeur, but to make the case for its survival. VOA's Rosanne Skirble reports.
Video

Video Boston Marathon Bittersweet for Many Runners

Monday's running of the Boston Marathon was bittersweet for many of the 36,000 participants as they finished the run that was interrupted by a double bombing last year. Many gathered along the route paid respect to the four people killed as a result of two bombings near the finish line. VOA's Carolyn Presutti returned to Boston this year to follow two runners, forever changed because of the crimes.
Video

Video Pacific Rim Trade Deal Proves Elusive

With the U.S.-led war in Iraq ended and American military involvement in Afghanistan winding down, President Barack Obama has sought to pivot the country's foreign policy focus towards Asia. One aspect of that pivot is the negotiation of a free-trade agreement among 12 Pacific Rim nations. But as Obama leaves this week on a trip to four Asian countries he has found it very difficult to complete the trade pact. VOA's Ken Bredemeier has more from Washington.
Video

Video Robotic Mission Kicks Up Lunar Dust

A robotic mission to the moon was deliberately crashed onto the lunar surface late last week, but not before scientists had collected data gathered by the spacecraft which was designed to self-destruct. VOA's Rosanne Skirble reports on the preliminary findings of the craft, called LADEE - an acronym for Lunar Atmosphere and Dust Environment Explorer.
Video

Video Boko Haram Claims Responsibility for Bombing in Nigerian Capital

The Nigerian militant group known as Boko Haram has claimed responsibility for a bombing in the capital on April 14th that killed 75 people. In the video message, Abubakar Shekau, the man who says he ordered the bombing, says nothing about the mass abduction of more than 100 teenage girls, most of whom are still missing. Heather Murdock has more for VOA from Abuja.
Video

Video Ukraine Developments Hang Over Obama Trip to Asia

President Barack Obama's trip to Asia this week comes as concerns over Beijing's territorial ambitions are growing in the region. Those concerns have been compounded by Russia's recent actions in Ukraine and the possibility that Chinese strategists might be looking to Crimea as a model for its territorial disputes with its neighbors. VOA's Bill Ide has more from Beijing.
Video

Video Autistic Adults Face Housing, Job Challenges

Many parents of children with disabilities fear for the future of their adult child. It can be difficult to find services to help adults with disabilities - physical, mental or emotional - find work or live on their own. The mother of an autistic boy set up a foundation to advocate for the estimated 1.2 million American adults with autism, a developmental disorder that causes communication difficulties and often social difficulties. VOA's Faiza Elmasry reports.
AppleAndroid