World News

NATO: 2 Afghan Boys Accidentally Shot Dead

NATO has apologized for what it called the accidental shooting of two boys in southern Afghanistan.

U.S. General Joseph Dunford, the commander of allied forces in Afghanistan, said troops from the international coalition had mistaken the two boys for insurgents during operations Thursday in Uruzgan province.

He apologized for the deaths Saturday and sent his personal condolences to the Afghan boys' families. Australian forces had been deployed in the area.

Civilian killings have increased tensions between the Afghan government and foreign troops throughout the nearly 12-year war. Last month a NATO air strike in Kunar province killed 10 people, including four children.

Feature Story

People wait to receive food and supplies from an aid distribution point set up inside a makeshift camp at Mpoko Airport in Bangui, Jan. 7, 2014.

Global Population Predicted to Reach Nearly 11 Billion by 2100

Study, an extension of a 2013 United Nations report, says growth is unlikely to stabilize this century More

Special Reports