News / Africa

Nigeria Won't Swap Boko Haram Prisoners for Girls

People hold candles and pray in Abuja, the capital, during a vigil calling for the release of Nigerian schoolgirls abducted in the remote village of Chibok, Nigeria, May 15, 2014.
People hold candles and pray in Abuja, the capital, during a vigil calling for the release of Nigerian schoolgirls abducted in the remote village of Chibok, Nigeria, May 15, 2014.
VOA News
Nigeria's government is ruling out an exchange of more than 200 kidnapped schoolgirls for detained Boko Haram Islamic militants, but the government is open to broader talks with the rebels, Britain's top official for Africa said Wednesday.

President Goodluck Jonathan is under pressure to crush the rebels who have killed thousands in their campaign for an Islamist state and to free the girls whose abduction a month ago has sparked global outrage.

Government officials initially said they were exploring all options with respect to the swap proposal and later said they were willing to negotiate with Boko Haram without specifying whether any putative talks might include an exchange for the girls.
 
British Foreign Office Minister Mark Simmonds speaks to Journalist in Abuja, Nigeria, May 14, 2014.British Foreign Office Minister Mark Simmonds speaks to Journalist in Abuja, Nigeria, May 14, 2014.
x
British Foreign Office Minister Mark Simmonds speaks to Journalist in Abuja, Nigeria, May 14, 2014.
British Foreign Office Minister Mark Simmonds speaks to Journalist in Abuja, Nigeria, May 14, 2014.

Jonathan further refined that position on Wednesday during talks with Britain's Minister for Africa Mark Simmonds.

"He [Jonathan] made it very clear that there would be no negotiations with Boko Haram that involved a swap of abducted schoolgirls for prisoners," Simmonds told reporters after meeting Jonathan.

"What he also made very clear to me was that he wanted his government to continue a dialogue to make sure a solution could be found and that security and stability could return to northern Nigeria for the medium and the long term," he added.

Rebels stormed a school in the northeastern village of Chibok a month ago and seized 276 girls who were taking exams. Some have escaped, but more than 200 remain missing.

In a video released on Monday, Boko Haram's leader said he will free the girls only if the government releases jailed members of his group.

The footage was verified as authentic by Nigerian authorities, who said 54 of the girls had been identified by relatives, teachers and classmates who watched the video late Tuesday.

Conflicting comments

Nigerian government officials have given conflicting responses to Boko Haram's offer of a swap.

One senior official said on Tuesday that "all options" are now open — including negotiations or a possible military operation with foreign help — in efforts find the missing girls.

It was not immediately possible to confirm Simmonds' comments with Nigerian officials.

Simmonds spoke before Nigeria's Defense Ministry announced that extremists had again attacked the remote northeastern town of Chibok, from which the schoolgirls were abducted on April 14.

The ministry said several insurgents and four soldiers were killed in the firefight Tuesday.

Soldiers who were there told The Associated Press that at least 12 soldiers were killed, and that angry soldiers later fired at the car carrying a senior officer who came to a review of the bodies Wednesday.

The witnesses spoke on condition of anonymity because they want to keep their jobs.

France is due to hold a security summit in Paris on Saturday with Jonathan, leaders from neighbors Benin, Cameroon, Chad and Niger and other African countries, as well as representatives from the United States and Britain.

Jonathan said he welcomed the summit, which will discuss how to intensify collaboration against Boko Haram and other radical groups.

"If we all collaborate more, it will easier to eradicate Boko Haram and terrorism," he said in a statement.

Some information for this report provided by Reuters and AP.

You May Like

China Investigates Former Powerful Security Chief

Former security chief and member of Politburo Standing Committee, Zhou Yongkang, under investigation for suspected 'serious disciplinary violation' More

India, US Look to Reset Ties During Kerry Visit

This week's talks will be first high level interaction between two countries since Prime Minister Narendra Modi took charge More

Video Young African Leadership Program Renamed to Honor Mandela

YALI program, launched by President Obama in 2010, aims to build skills in business, entrepreneurship, public management and civic leadership More

This forum has been closed.
Comments
     
There are no comments in this forum. Be first and add one

Featured Videos

Your JavaScript is turned off or you have an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.
Vietnamese Staging Chinese Product Boycott After Oil Rig Spati
X
Reasey Poch
July 28, 2014 7:18 PM
China recently pulled an oil rig from an area of the disputed South China Sea that Vietnam also claims. Despite the action, the incident has had a lingering effect on consumers in Vietnam. VOA's Reasey Poch reports from Hanoi on an effort to boycott Chinese products.
Video

Video Vietnamese Staging Chinese Product Boycott After Oil Rig Spat

China recently pulled an oil rig from an area of the disputed South China Sea that Vietnam also claims. Despite the action, the incident has had a lingering effect on consumers in Vietnam. VOA's Reasey Poch reports from Hanoi on an effort to boycott Chinese products.
Video

Video ESA Spacecraft to Land on a Comet

After a long flight through deep space, a European Space Agency probe is finally approaching its target -- a comet millions of kilometers away from earth. Scientists say the mission may lead to some startling discoveries about the origins of the water on earth. VOA’s George Putic has more.
Video

Video Young Africans Arrive in US for Leadership Program

President Barack Obama's Young African Leadership Initiative has brought hundreds of young Africans to the United States for a six-week program aimed at building their knowledge and skills in fields such as public administration and business. Out of the 50,000 young Africans who applied for the program, just one percent was accepted. VOA's Laurel Bowman caught up with some of those who made the cut and has this report.
Video

Video In Honduras, Amnesty Rumors Fuel US Migration Surges

False rumors in Central America are fueling the current surge of undocumented young people being apprehended at the U.S. border. The inaccurate claims suggest the U.S. will give amnesty to young migrants from the region. As VOA's Brian Padden reports from Honduras, these rumors trace back to President Obama's 2012 executive order to halt deportations for some young undocumented immigrants already living in the United States.
Video

Video Students in Business for Themselves

They're only high school students, but they are making accessories for shoes, fabricating backpacks and doing product photography - all through their own businesses. It's the result of a partnership between a non-profit organization that teaches entrepreneurship and their schools. VOA's Mike O'Sullivan and Deyane Moses met the budding entrepreneurs near Los Angeles.
Video

Video Astronauts Train in Underwater Lab

In the world’s only underwater laboratory, four U.S. astronauts train for a planned visit to an asteroid. The lab - called Aquarius- is located five kilometers off Key Largo, in southern Florida. Living in close quarters and making excursions only into the surrounding ocean, they try to simulate the daily routine of a crew that will someday travel to collect samples of a rock orbiting far away from earth. VOA’s George Putic has more.

AppleAndroid