Officials said Friday that Jonathan is not able to make the trip to Chibok village in Borno province because of security considerations.
The April 14 mass abduction of the girls by the Boko Haram group has sparked global outrage and accusations that the government is not doing enough to win their return. Nigeria's government has said it is exploring "all options" to win the girls' safe return.
President Jonathan now plans to head to a regional security meeting to be convened Saturday by French President Francois Hollande. The presidents of Benin, Cameroon, Niger and Chad also are scheduled to attend the meeting.
Hollande said he called the meeting to discuss new strategies for dealing with the security threat posed by Boko Haram and other terrorist groups in West and Central Africa.
Boko Haram released a video this week showing about 100 of the kidnapped girls, who were seen wearing hijabs and reciting Islamic prayers.
Boko Haram's leader, Abubakar Shekau, said the girls would not be released until the group's imprisoned fighters were freed.
Some information for this report was provided by AFP and Reuters.
Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan has canceled a visit to a northeastern town where Islamist militants last month seized more than 200 schoolgirls.