News / Asia

    Pakistan Postpones Texting Censorship

    A Pakistani man with his mobile phone containing a prank message, Karachi, April 2007 (file photo).
    A Pakistani man with his mobile phone containing a prank message, Karachi, April 2007 (file photo).
    Kurt Achin

    Pakistani officials are denying they ordered the country's mobile phone operators to block certain text messages sent by customers.

    A free speech advocacy group plans to sue the government over a list containing hundreds of so-called obscene words and phrases, which has since been widely mocked by ordinary Pakistanis on social media. According to a letter signed by the chief of the Pakistan Telecommunications Authority dated November 14, the order to block text messages containing prohibited words was ordered to go into effect on Monday.

    The letter orders mobile phone service providers to block text messages containing any of more than 1,600 words and phrases -- more than 1,000 of them in English, the rest in Urdu. The letter says the move is designed "to protect the interests of consumers" and requires telecom companies to report the number of blocked messages back to the authority monthly.

    Since the letter and list became public last week, social media services like Twitter have exploded with derisive ridicule from Pakistanis. Few would disagree most of the words on the list are vulgar, but some of the words included are viewed as more innocuous and occasionally bizarre. "Sex," "condom," and "nude" are all on the list. So are the words "Jesus Christ," "deposit," "drunk," and, perhaps the most frequently ridiculed, "monkey crotch."

    Pakistani officials are downplaying the apparent order to ban the content.

    Mohammad Younis, spokesman for the Pakistan Telecommunications Authority (PTA) said via translator that the list should never have been made public, explaining it was meant to be kept between PTA and mobile phone companies as a means to find out whether it was possible to filter obscene messages. He said a final, shorter list of banned words will be released later, after consultation with phone companies.

    Shahzad Ahmad, Pakistan country director for the digital free speech advocacy, Bytes for All, said his group intends to take the issue to court. He described the PTA's letter and list as a clear directive to censor mobile phone traffic.

    "It has actually embarrassed and shamed us a lot. This is outrageous," he said. "I don't know how and why PTA had so much time [or] how much effort they have put in to compile this stupid list without realizing what kind of impact it will have on the whole communication infrastructure, which is already pretty pathetic."

    Ahmad added that Pakistan, as an Islamic state, has had the legal tools available for years to block communication deemed blasphemous. He said the government has abused that capability.

    "When they would block blasphemous content, they would actually block political discourse, and we have ample evidence of how they would do that," he said. "And now they want to use this as an excuse to block more political content, [and] I see no good reason behind this censorship or ban."

    By Monday evening, Pakistani telecommunications companies announced they would hold off on implementing any text message blocking guidelines until they could seek further "clarification" from the Pakistani Telecommunication Authority.

    You May Like

    Closed Borders, Changing Rules Splinter Families Fleeing War

    Greece now faces uncertainty with more than 50,000 refugees, migrants trapped on northern border with Macedonia and crowded into camps, detention centers and makeshift settlements

    Pope Calls for Compassion for 'Imperfect' Catholics

    In treatise titled 'The Joy of Love,' which Vatican released Friday, Pope Francis says 'No one can be condemned forever because that is not the logic of the Gospel'

    Why American Teenagers Are Driving Less Than Ever

    Number of teenaged drivers hits record low, with fewer 16-year-old drivers now, than at any other time since the 1960s

    This forum has been closed.
    Comments
         
    There are no comments in this forum. Be first and add one

    Featured Videos

    Your JavaScript is turned off or you have an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.
    Stranded in Greece, Afghan Interpreters Feel Abandoned By US, Coalitioni
    X
    Henry Ridgwell
    April 07, 2016 7:21 PM
    Among the tens of thousands of refugees stranded in Greece are many Afghan nationals -- including some who tell VOA they were forced to flee threats from the Taliban because they had worked with US and coalition forces. The United States has a special visa to help Afghans and Iraqis who worked with the US military to gain asylum -- but the refugees say the system takes far too long, and they had to flee for their lives. Henry Ridgwell reports from Athens.
    Video

    Video Stranded in Greece, Afghan Interpreters Feel Abandoned By US, Coalition

    Among the tens of thousands of refugees stranded in Greece are many Afghan nationals -- including some who tell VOA they were forced to flee threats from the Taliban because they had worked with US and coalition forces. The United States has a special visa to help Afghans and Iraqis who worked with the US military to gain asylum -- but the refugees say the system takes far too long, and they had to flee for their lives. Henry Ridgwell reports from Athens.
    Video

    Video Experts: IS Looting Antiquities on Industrial Scale

    Experts say the Islamic State is looting and selling cultural antiquities from Iraq and Syria on an industrial scale. The destruction and sale of these treasures is not only condoned but has been institutionalized within the Islamic State itself. And as Jeff Swicord reports, artifacts are beginning to show up on antiquities markets around the world.
    Video

    Video Deportations Bring Unease to Turkey

    Turkey is expecting to receive 200 more migrants deported from Greece on Friday. It is part of the deal reached in March between the European Union and Ankara to alleviate Europe’s migrant crisis. But there is also nervousness among some Turks who question whether their country can and should absorb the refugees who do not return to their nations of origin. VOA Europe Correspondent Luis Ramirez reports.
    Video

    Video Scientists Creating New Devices to Battle Diabetes

    Diabetes is fast becoming a major global problem, affecting 422 million people. But nanotechnology may someday make monitoring blood glucose levels and administering medicine much simpler than it is today. VOA’s George Putic reports.
    Video

    Video Spanish ‘Smart’ City Project Saves Time, Money

    As life in cities worldwide becomes more hectic and more expensive, urban designers are resorting to modern technology to help citizens avoid traffic snarls, and shorten the time needed for shopping and other errands. Technology also is used to cut costly waste. Zlatica Hoke has this report about a city in Spain that is turning into a model "smart city" others seek to emulate.
    Video

    Video New Abidjan Car Services Inspired by Uber

    Uber, the U.S.-based online transportation network company, operates a mobile app that allows consumers with smartphones to book cab service from Uber drivers who use their own cars. As the company makes inroads in Africa, entrepreneurs in the West African nation of Ivory Coast are trying to stay one step ahead. Emilie Iob reports from the Ivorian commercial capital, Abidjan, where at least four Uber-like car services have launched since last year.
    Video

    Video Amnesty: ‘Disturbing’ Rise in Executions Worldwide in 2015

    Amnesty International says there was a disturbing rise in the number of executions carried out worldwide in 2015. At least 1,634 people were executed last year – a rise of more than 50 percent in 2015 and the highest in 25 years. But the true figure is likely much higher, as Henry Ridgwell reports for VOA from London.
    Video

    Video Young Yazidi Refugee Paints About Islamic State 'Nightmare'

    Mariam Marwan was 16 when Islamic State militants stormed her village in Iraq, forcing her family to flee to the Sinjar Mountains. Now 18, Miriam says she constantly relives the nightmare but hopes her images will serve as a record of what happened to the Yazidi people.
    Video

    Video Top Honor Given to US Military Dog Injured in Combat

    A U.S. Military Service dog that saved the lives of thousands of troops by sniffing out explosives has been awarded the highest honor of bravery by a British animal charity. Henry Ridgwell met Lucca the German Shepherd at an award ceremony in London and reports for VOA.
    Video

    Video Preventing Graying of Hair May Become Possible

    Out of the 20,000 to 25,000 genes in the human genome, only one is known to play a role in hair color and balding. It is also responsible for the inevitable gray hairs. But new research suggests that we may someday be able to postpone the inevitable. VOA’s George Putic reports.
    Video

    Video African Refugee Is Oldest-ever US Olympic Runner

    African-born marathon runner Meb Keflezighi will be among the athletes representing the United States come August at the Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro. He will then be 41 years old. Elizabeth Lee met him at one of his training sessions in San Diego to find out how this refugee from Eritrea became an Olympian.
    Video

    Video Drug Epidemic Persists in Myanmar's Ethnic States

    Myanmar is #2 in the world for opium production. As Myanmar’s new parliament faces major reform challenges, a drug epidemic remains deeply rooted in some ethnic states with growers allowed to produce opium with impunity.
    Video

    Video Kurdish Military Leader Supports Sunnis in Quest to Oust Islamic State

    On March 24, the Iraqi military launched "Operation Conquest" — the newest offensive to push the Islamic State out of Iraq. The operation to liberate the city of Mosul is expected to take up to a year, but it could take much longer to push the extremists out of the entire country. VOA sat down with the leader of an elite Kurdish counterterrorism unit to discuss what he thinks it will take to defeat the extremists. From northern Iraq, Sebastian Meyer reports.
    Video

    Video VOA Interview: Former IS Member Gives Insight Into Extremist Group

    A week ago, the Iraqi military launched Operation Conquest to push the Islamic State group out of Mosul. Fighting between the army and the militants is heavy, and the offensive is expected to take many months. A recent VOA interview with a captured IS member gives insight into the extremist group and who some of their young fighters are. Sebastian Meyer reports from northern Iraq.

    Special Report

    Adrift The Invisible African Diaspora