News / Africa

Peace Talks Restart in Congolese Dispute

The M23 insurgent rebels' executive secretary Francois Rucogoza speaks during a news conference in Uganda's capital Kampala, January 8, 2013.
The M23 insurgent rebels' executive secretary Francois Rucogoza speaks during a news conference in Uganda's capital Kampala, January 8, 2013.
Andrew Green
— Peace talks between the government of the Democratic Republic of Congo and the M23 rebel group have officially resumed.  The restart came days after the rebels announced they would proceed with the dialogue even if the government did not agree to a ceasefire in the disputed area of eastern Congo.

The talks, which originally began in December, were suspended for the Christmas holidays.  The two sides had earlier failed to resolve the conflict that erupted in eastern Congo last year.

Organizers said the restart of the talks, originally scheduled for last week, was delayed by sanctions the United Nations Security Council brought against the rebel group at the end of last year.  The U.N. imposed an arms embargo on the group and banned travel and froze the assets of two of M23’s leaders.

Ugandan Defense Minister Crispus Kiyonga, who is mediating the dialogue, said the
delegates have now received assurances from the U.N. that the talks can continue as long as none of the sanctioned rebels are involved.

The move by the U.N., announced on New Year’s Eve, took the leaders of the peace talks by surprise, he said.

“We would have preferred, as the region, that those who impose sanctions should coordinate with those who are pushing dialogue and peaceful resolution.  But we haven’t yet agreed on coordination.  To some extent it is disruptive to emphasize sanctions when parties are willing to undergo a dialogue,” said Kiyonga.

Kiyonga said both parties remain committed to the peace process, despite earlier concerns it might be falling apart.  One sticking point has been the rebels’ insistence that the government agree to a unilateral ceasefire in the disputed region.  Earlier this week M23 delegates announced they would adhere to the ceasefire.

M23 delegation leader Francois Rucogoza told the press conference the rebels would continue to participate in the talks, even if the Congolese government did not agree to the ceasefire.

Kiyonga said there had been no update on the agreement.  But he has ordered investigations into reports of violence in areas of eastern Congo. “There have been some reports in the field around Goma and eastern DRC that there are some violations of the cessation of hostilities. I have asked the commander of the Joint Verification Mechanism to investigate and let me know,” he stated.

There is no timetable on the talks, but Kiyonga said the agenda is nearly finalized.  The talks will now focus on four clusters, including reaching a peace deal, security issues and monitoring and evaluation of any agreements.

You May Like

China Investigates Former Powerful Security Chief

Former security chief and member of Politburo Standing Committee, Zhou Yongkang, under investigation for suspected 'serious disciplinary violation' More

India, US Look to Reset Ties During Kerry Visit

This week's talks will be first high level interaction between two countries since Prime Minister Narendra Modi took charge More

Video Young African Leadership Program Renamed to Honor Mandela

YALI program, launched by President Obama in 2010, aims to build skills in business, entrepreneurship, public management and civic leadership More

This forum has been closed.
Comments
     
There are no comments in this forum. Be first and add one

Featured Videos

Your JavaScript is turned off or you have an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.
Vietnamese Staging Chinese Product Boycott After Oil Rig Spati
X
Reasey Poch
July 28, 2014 7:18 PM
China recently pulled an oil rig from an area of the disputed South China Sea that Vietnam also claims. Despite the action, the incident has had a lingering effect on consumers in Vietnam. VOA's Reasey Poch reports from Hanoi on an effort to boycott Chinese products.
Video

Video Vietnamese Staging Chinese Product Boycott After Oil Rig Spat

China recently pulled an oil rig from an area of the disputed South China Sea that Vietnam also claims. Despite the action, the incident has had a lingering effect on consumers in Vietnam. VOA's Reasey Poch reports from Hanoi on an effort to boycott Chinese products.
Video

Video ESA Spacecraft to Land on a Comet

After a long flight through deep space, a European Space Agency probe is finally approaching its target -- a comet millions of kilometers away from earth. Scientists say the mission may lead to some startling discoveries about the origins of the water on earth. VOA’s George Putic has more.
Video

Video Young Africans Arrive in US for Leadership Program

President Barack Obama's Young African Leadership Initiative has brought hundreds of young Africans to the United States for a six-week program aimed at building their knowledge and skills in fields such as public administration and business. Out of the 50,000 young Africans who applied for the program, just one percent was accepted. VOA's Laurel Bowman caught up with some of those who made the cut and has this report.
Video

Video In Honduras, Amnesty Rumors Fuel US Migration Surges

False rumors in Central America are fueling the current surge of undocumented young people being apprehended at the U.S. border. The inaccurate claims suggest the U.S. will give amnesty to young migrants from the region. As VOA's Brian Padden reports from Honduras, these rumors trace back to President Obama's 2012 executive order to halt deportations for some young undocumented immigrants already living in the United States.
Video

Video Students in Business for Themselves

They're only high school students, but they are making accessories for shoes, fabricating backpacks and doing product photography - all through their own businesses. It's the result of a partnership between a non-profit organization that teaches entrepreneurship and their schools. VOA's Mike O'Sullivan and Deyane Moses met the budding entrepreneurs near Los Angeles.
Video

Video Astronauts Train in Underwater Lab

In the world’s only underwater laboratory, four U.S. astronauts train for a planned visit to an asteroid. The lab - called Aquarius- is located five kilometers off Key Largo, in southern Florida. Living in close quarters and making excursions only into the surrounding ocean, they try to simulate the daily routine of a crew that will someday travel to collect samples of a rock orbiting far away from earth. VOA’s George Putic has more.

AppleAndroid