World News

Pyongyang: American Tourist Apologizes, Confesses to Crimes

North Korea has confirmed that it detained an American tourist a month ago, and says he has apologized for alleged crimes during the Korean War and for "hostile acts" against the state during a recent trip.

The North's official Korean Central News Agency said Saturday that 85-year-old Merrill Newman allegedly tried to meet with surviving soldiers he had trained to fight the North during the Korean War.

KCNA reported that in his confession, Newman said he had killed innocent civilians and committed other crimes against the Korean people.

Newman, who had been visiting North Korea as a tourist, has been held in Pyongyang since officials took him off a plane that was about to leave the country on October 26.

FEATURED STORY

Old photographs of Australian soldiers are projected onto an office building alongside a bronze statue at the Cenotaph war memorial on ANZAC (Australian and New Zealand Army Corps) day in Sydney, April 25, 2015.

Photogallery Australia and New Zealand Remember Sacrifice at Gallipoli

Massive losses during famous 1915 battle created unshakeable ties between the Pacific neighbors More