There are reports of a possible breakthrough in a three-week dispute between India and China over an alleged incursion of Chinese troops into a remote Himalayan outpost claimed by both countries.
There has been no official comment from either side. But an Indian army official told Reuters news agency that both armies withdrew their troops an unspecified distance Sunday evening, ending the standoff in the eastern Ladakh region.
Indian sources say an agreement was reached after army commanders from both sides met on Saturday and Sunday.
The reported de-escalation comes ahead of a scheduled visit by Indian Foreign Minister Salman Khurshid to Beijing later this week.
Last month, Indian officials said about 50 Chinese soldiers pitched tents about 10 kilometers inside what New Delhi says is its territory in the Ladakh region. China denied the incursion, and said its troops have abided by the agreement and line of control agreed to by both countries.
The incident is part of a long-running border dispute between India and China, which has persisted despite numerous rounds of talks.
China claims the northeastern Indian state of Arunachal Pradesh, while India says China occupies large parts of a barren plateau in Kashmir.
India has reported an increased number of incursions by Chinese troops in recent years.