Afghan officials say at least six people were killed Saturday when Taliban militants launched an attack on intelligence headquarters in the eastern city of Jalalabad.
An eyewitness, Ahmad Shah, said, "It was early morning and we were sleeping at home, a strong explosion happened, followed by firing. When I came out of my room I was covered with dust, my kids and I got injured from broken windows."
Abdul Zia Abdulzai, spokesman for the Nangarhar provincial governor, said the attack began with a suicide vehicle bombing, followed by a lengthy gunbattle.
Medical officials said the hospital had received six bodies and at least 45 wounded.
"Right now we have 26 injured victims in hospital and 19 others were discharged after receiving treatment. There are fatalities as well and we have received six dead bodies so far in our hospital," said Najibullah Kamawal, director of Nangarhar Provincial Health Department.
A spokesman for the Taliban has claimed responsibility for the attack.