World News

Suicide Bomber, Gunmen Attack Yemeni Defense Ministry

In Yemen, a suicide bomber and gunmen have attacked the heavily guarded Defense Ministry compound in the capital, Sana'a, killing at least 20 people and wounding dozens more.

Officials said the bomber rammed a car packed with explosives into one part of the complex on Thursday as attackers on foot opened fire with automatic rifles on another.

Several foreign medical workers are reportedly among the dead - along with militants and Yemeni soldiers - after the attackers stormed a hospital in the compound.



One witness said "The heavy gunfire on the hospital was shocking."



A second witness said "We first heard the sound of gunfire then we realized that there were people in military costume throwing bombs inside the hospital."

The Defense Ministry said in a statement that most of the gunmen had been killed and that the situation was under control.



Yemen's President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi later visited the compound, met senior military officials and ordered an investigation into the attack.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility, but al-Qaida militants often attack Yemeni security forces. The Yemeni branch, known as Al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula, is considered one of the world's most active.

Yemeni officials say the group has infiltrated the country's security services, and there were reports the attackers wore military uniforms.

Featured Story

Nigerian men watch as the election commission announces electoral results for certain states, on a television at an outdoor butchery in Kano, northern Nigeria Tuesday, March 31, 2015.

Photogallery  VOA: Nigeria's Jonathan Concedes After Results Show Buhari Near Victory

The results mark the first time in Nigeria's history that an incumbent president was ousted at the ballot box More