World News

Suicide Bomber Kills 3 in Somalia

Soldiers look from a distance at the scene of a suicide attack in Mogadishu July 12, 2013.
Soldiers look from a distance at the scene of a suicide attack in Mogadishu July 12, 2013.
VOA News
A suicide bomber in Somalia's capital has detonated explosives near a convoy of African Union troops, killing himself and at least three civilians.

Witnesses say the bomber narrowly missed the AU convoy and instead destroyed a group of roadside shops in central Mogadishu.  Officials say no soldiers were killed in the explosion.

Rebels from the al-Qaida-linked al-Shabab group claimed responsibility.  The group has previously staged similar attacks in a bid to overthrow Somalia's internationally-backed government.

Prime Minister Abdi Farah Shirdon condemned Friday's attack but said it would not derail the progress being made in Somalia.

African Union forces pushed al-Shabab out of Mogadishu in 2011, but the group still retains key strongholds in rural southern Somalia and continues to carry out attacks in the capital.

Feature Story

An image grab taken from a video released by the Islamic State (IS) group through Al-Furqan Media via YouTube allegedly shows British freelance photojournalist, John Cantlie, at an undisclosed location in which he says he is being held captive, Sept. 18,

British Journalist John Cantlie Purportedly Shown in IS Video

In three-minute YouTube video, orange-clad man promises to 'convey some facts' in a series of 'programs,' about jihadist group More

Special Reports