Taliban suicide attackers killed seven people in Kabul Tuesday when they set off a truck bomb at the entrance to a NATO supply company's compound, the latest insurgent attack targeting high-profile locations in the Afghan capital.
Authorities say the insurgents began the pre-dawn attack by detonating their bomb-laden vehicle, then at least two of the militants engaged Afghan security forces. The dead include four Nepalese guards and three civilians.
Officials say suicide vests were recovered at the scene.
The attack comes a day after Afghanistan's Interior Ministry spokesman Sediq Sediqqi said 299 police were killed from May 10 to June 13 and another 618 wounded, a 22 percent increase from the same period last year.
In the same time span, Sediqqi said 753 militants had been killed in joint operations with the military and others, and more than 300 arrested. He said 180 civilians were also killed.
Casualties have continued to mount among local forces since NATO-led coalition troops transferred responsibility for combat operations.
The NATO coalition in June handed over all security operations across the country to Afghan forces.
Some information for this report was provided by AP and AFP.
Afghan security force members stand guard near the entrance gate to a NATO compound following a suicide bombing in Kabul, July 2, 2013.
People assist a wounded man after a bombing at the gate to a NATO compound in Kabul, July 2, 2013.
Afghan police arrive at the site of an attack in Kabul, July 2, 2013.
NATO forces arrive at the site of an attack in Kabul, July 2, 2013.