News / Middle East

Turkey Mourns 2 Pilots Downed by Syria

Turkish soldiers carry the coffins of fallen Turkish pilots, Captain Gokhan Ertan and Lieutenant Hasan Huseyin Aksoy, during an official farewell ceremony at the 7th Jet Main Air Base in the eastern Turkish city of Malatya July 6, 2012.
Turkish soldiers carry the coffins of fallen Turkish pilots, Captain Gokhan Ertan and Lieutenant Hasan Huseyin Aksoy, during an official farewell ceremony at the 7th Jet Main Air Base in the eastern Turkish city of Malatya July 6, 2012.
Dorian Jones
ISTANBUL, Turkey -- The two Turkish pilots of the warplane that was shot down last month by Syrian forces were buried Friday with full military honors and Turkey's political leaders present.

The coffins of the two pilots were draped in Turkish flags and carried by soldiers in a funeral ceremony with full military honors.

The ceremony  was held at the Erhac airbase in eastern Turkey, where the pilots' warplane left on its ill fated operation.

The bodies were recovered from  the bottom of the Mediterranean with the assistance of a U.S. search vessel.

Attending the funeral were Turkey's political and military leadership led by Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Addressing the ceremony, Turkish air force General Mustafa Avci reiterated the country's anger over the circumstances of the shooting down of the plane.

He said the two pilots were killed in international waters of the Mediterranean while performing an unarmed mission. And that the two pilots were heroes and offered his condolences to the families.

  • From left to right, Republican People's Party Leader Kemal Kilicdaroglu, Chief of Staff General Necdet Ozel, Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan and Chairman of Parliament Cemil Cicek pray at the farewell ceremony, Malatya, Turkey, July 6, 2012.
  • Turkish soldiers carry the coffins of fallen Turkish pilots, Captain Gokhan Ertan and Lieutenant Hasan Huseyin Aksoy, Malatya, Turkey, July 6, 2012.
  • Nihal Ertan, wife of fallen pilot Captain Gokhan Ertan, kisses the coffin of her husband during an official farewell ceremony at the 7th Jet Main Air Base, Malatya, Turkey, July 6, 2012.
  • This photo taken July 4, 2012 and provided by the Turkish military shows the helmet of one of the Turkish pilots of a jet shot down by Syrian forces on June 22, 2012.
  • This photo taken July 4, 2012 and provided by the Turkish military, shows wreckage retrieved from the sea after a Turkish RF-4 Phantom jet which was shot down by Syrian forces June 22, 2012.
  • The wheel of the jet shot down by Syrian forces on June 22, 2012 resting on the seabed. (AP/Turkish military)

Damascus says the jet was shot down close to its coast over its territorial waters. Both sides dispute how the plane was downed with Ankara claiming it was hit by a missile while Damascus insists it was anti-aircraft fire.

With the wreckage of the plane now found, analysts say many questions about the shooting may now be answered. In an interview published Monday in a Turkish newspaper, Syrian President Bashar al-Assad said he regretted the incident, but did not apologize.

The downing of the plane has seen a heightening of tensions between the two neighbors. Mr. Erdogan has accused Syria of a presenting a clear and present danger and has increased the numbers of military forces on the 900 kilometer Syrian border.  Ankara is also providing sanctuary to over 30,000 Syrian refugees, including the leadership and members of the Free Syrian Army which is fighting  Assad's forces.

On Thursday Brigadier General Manaf Tlass of Syria's elite Republican guard reportedly fled to Turkey. Despite the deaths of the two pilots, opinion polls found the overwhelming majority of Turks oppose any military confrontation with Syria.

You May Like

Nigeria Incumbent in Tight Spot as Poll Nears

Muhammadu Buhari is running a strong challenge to Goodluck Jonathan, amid a faltering economy and Boko Haram security worries More

Video Liberia's Almost Last Ebola Patient Grateful but Still Grieving

Beatrice Yardolo tells VOA that despite her fame, life is still a struggle as she waits for government's promise of support to arrive More

Video Cambodian Land Grabs Threaten Traditional Communities

At least seven different indigenous groups in Ratanakiri depend mainly on forest products for their survival, say they face loss of their land, traditional way of life More

Featured Videos

Your JavaScript is turned off or you have an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.
Liberia's Almost Last Ebola Patient Grateful but Still Grievingi
X
Benno Muchler
March 26, 2015 3:41 PM
Beatrice Yardolo was to make history as Liberia’s last Ebola patient. Liberians recently started counting down 42 days, the period that has to go by without a single new infection until the World Health Organization can declare a country Ebola-free. That countdown stopped on March 20 when there was another new case of Ebola, making Yardolo’s story a reminder that Ebola is far from over. Benno Muchler reports from Monrovia.
Video

Video Liberia's Almost Last Ebola Patient Grateful but Still Grieving

Beatrice Yardolo was to make history as Liberia’s last Ebola patient. Liberians recently started counting down 42 days, the period that has to go by without a single new infection until the World Health Organization can declare a country Ebola-free. That countdown stopped on March 20 when there was another new case of Ebola, making Yardolo’s story a reminder that Ebola is far from over. Benno Muchler reports from Monrovia.
Video

Video Cambodian Land Grabs Threaten Traditional Communities

Indigenous communities in Cambodia's Ratanakiri province say the government’s economic land concession policy is taking away their land and traditional way of life, making many fear that their identity will soon be lost. Local authorities, though, have denied this is the case. VOA's Say Mony went to investigate and filed this report, narrated by Colin Lovett.
Video

Video US, South Korea Conduct Joint Military Exercises

The Eighth U.S. Army Division and the Eighth Republic of Korea Mechanized Infantry Division put on a well orchestrated show of force for the media this week during their joint military training exercises in South Korea. VOA’s Seoul correspondent Brian Padden was there and reports the soldiers were well disciplined both in conducting a complex live fire exercise and in staying on message with the press.
Video

Video Space Program Status Disappoints 'Last Man on the Moon'

One of the films that drew big crowds last week at the annual South by Southwest festival in Austin, Texas, tells the story of the last human being to stand on the moon, U.S. astronaut Eugene Cernan. It has been 42 years since Cernan returned from the moon and he laments that no one else has gone there since. VOA’s Greg Flakus reports.
Video

Video Young Filmmakers Shine Spotlight on Giving Back

A group of student filmmakers from across the United States joined President Barack Obama at the White House this month for the second annual White House Student Film Festival. Fifteen short films were officially selected from more than 1,500 entries by students aged 6 through 18. The filmmakers and their families then joined the president and a group of celebrities for a screening of their films. VOA’s Julie Taboh reports.
Video

Video VOA Exclusive: Interview with Afghan President Ashraf Ghani

Afghan President Ashraf Ghani, during his first visit as president to Washington, gave a one-on-one interview with VOA Afghan Service reporter Said Suleiman Ashna, about his request for a change in U.S. troop levels, the threat from the Islamic State, and repairing relations with the United States and Pakistan. The interview was held at Blair House, late Sunday, in Pashto.
Video

Video California Science Center Tells Story of Dead Sea Scrolls

The ancient manuscripts were uncovered in the mid-20th century, and they are still yielding clues about life and religious beliefs in ancient Israel. As VOA's Mike O'Sullivan reports, an exhibit in Los Angeles shows how modern science is bringing the history of these ancient documents to life.
Video

Video Angelina Jolie Takes Another Bold Step

Hollywood actress and filmmaker Angelina Jolie has revealed she had her ovaries and fallopian tubes removed to lower her odds of getting cancer. Doctors say the huge publicity over her decision will help raise awareness about the importance of cancer screening. VOA’s George Putic has more

All About America

Circumventing Censorship

An Internet Primer for Healthy Web Habits

As surveillance and censoring technologies advance, so, too, do new tools for your computer or mobile device that help protect your privacy and break through Internet censorship.
More