News / Europe

UN War Crimes Trial Resumes for Hadzic

Goran Hadzic, the last of Serbia's alleged war criminals, makes his initial appearance to stand trial on crimes against humanity at the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) in the Hague July 25, 2011.
Goran Hadzic, the last of Serbia's alleged war criminals, makes his initial appearance to stand trial on crimes against humanity at the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) in the Hague July 25, 2011.
Stefan Bos
— The trial of former Croatian Serb leader Goran Hadzic, the last fugitive sought by the United Nations Yugoslav war crimes tribunal, resumed at the Hague on Monday.

Hadzic led Croatian Serb rebels when Croatia's government broke away from Yugoslavia in 1991 and is one of several key officials to face trial at the Netherlands-based court for alleged involvement in atrocities during the Balkan wars. 
 
As president of a self-styled Serbian mini-state in Croatia, the Republic of Serbian Krajina, Hadzic allegedly oversaw atrocities such as the murder and persecution of non-Serbs.  He is also accused of having supervised detention centers where torture, beatings and killings of civilians and other detainees were carried out.
 
Hadzic is accused of leading the forcible transfer of tens of thousands of non-Serbs from across the region under his control during the 1991-1995 conflict.  He was apprehended in 2011 near Belgrade after eight years on the run. 
 
Although Hadzic faces 14 counts of war crimes and crimes against humanity, prosecutors on Monday mentioned specifically the killing of patients in what was one of the worst massacres in the Croatian conflict.  Serb forces under Hadzic's command allegedly took some 260 non-Serbs from Vukovar Hospital after a three-month siege of the city.
 
Hague Prosecutor Matthew Gillett said most of the men and boys were slaughtered in November 1991 on a farm in Ovcara, near Vukovar. 
 
"It's been agreed essentially, I am summarizing, that the 194 named victims in the annexed, the paragraph 32 of the indictment, were murdered at Ovcara -- that they were detained when they were murdered, that they were buried in a mass grave at Ovcara, that the grave was protected by U.N. personnel, and [that] the exhumation and autopsies were carried out by international and domestic experts, and [that] representatives of the Croat and Yugoslav authorities were present," he said. 
 
Croatian forensic pathologist Davor Strinovic has investigated the massacre.  Speaking as a witness at the trial, Dr. Strinovic said the youngest victim discovered so far was  16 years old; the oldest was 72.
 
Speaking through an interpreter, Dr. Strinovic said it has been difficult to find and identify the more than 200 victims of the Vukovar Hospital massacre. 
 
"Of course, we are trying and have been trying from the very start to find all of those who are on on the list.  We will never stop looking for those people," he said. "To this day, we have not been fully successful in finding all the people from the list. The forensic pathologist said that, in at least one case it was too emotional for survivors to acknowledge a victim's name."
 
Delays in exhuming the remains have also made it difficult to identify all those who were killed in the massacre, and dozens of suspected victims remain missing. 
 
If convicted on even some charges against him, Hadzic could face life in prison.  Monday's proceedings, came only days before the trial of another prominent Serb, Ratko Mladic.  The former Bosnian Serb general has been charged with war crimes, including involvement in the massacre of some 8,000 Muslim men and boys by his forces in the Bosnian town of Srebrenica in 1995.
 
The International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia is under pressure to end its operations.  It already closed its main field offices in Croatia and Kosovo, but it is continuing it activities in Serbia and Bosnia. 
 
Russia and Serbia have sharply criticized the tribunal over what they say is its bias toward Serbs following rulings to free two Croatian generals and a Kosovo Albanian former guerrilla commander.
 
Since it was established in 1993, the tribunal has indicted 161 people for Balkan war crimes, of whom 15 have been acquitted.  Proceedings are ongoing for 31 suspects.
 
Last month, the U.N. Security Council extended the work of the court, but Russia abstained from the vote because it said the resolution did not address the tribunal's "inefficiencies." 
 
The court expects to rule on its final appeals by 2016.  After that, any more cases arising from the Balkan wars of the 1990s must be tried in the countries where the crimes were allegedly committed. 

You May Like

China Investigates Former Powerful Security Chief

Former security chief and member of Politburo Standing Committee, Zhou Yongkang, under investigation for suspected 'serious disciplinary violation' More

India, US Look to Reset Ties During Kerry Visit

This week's talks will be first high level interaction between two countries since Prime Minister Narendra Modi took charge More

Video Young African Leadership Program Renamed to Honor Mandela

YALI program, launched by President Obama in 2010, aims to build skills in business, entrepreneurship, public management and civic leadership More

This forum has been closed.
Comments
     
There are no comments in this forum. Be first and add one

Featured Videos

Your JavaScript is turned off or you have an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.
Vietnamese Staging Chinese Product Boycott After Oil Rig Spati
X
Reasey Poch
July 28, 2014 7:18 PM
China recently pulled an oil rig from an area of the disputed South China Sea that Vietnam also claims. Despite the action, the incident has had a lingering effect on consumers in Vietnam. VOA's Reasey Poch reports from Hanoi on an effort to boycott Chinese products.
Video

Video Vietnamese Staging Chinese Product Boycott After Oil Rig Spat

China recently pulled an oil rig from an area of the disputed South China Sea that Vietnam also claims. Despite the action, the incident has had a lingering effect on consumers in Vietnam. VOA's Reasey Poch reports from Hanoi on an effort to boycott Chinese products.
Video

Video ESA Spacecraft to Land on a Comet

After a long flight through deep space, a European Space Agency probe is finally approaching its target -- a comet millions of kilometers away from earth. Scientists say the mission may lead to some startling discoveries about the origins of the water on earth. VOA’s George Putic has more.
Video

Video Young Africans Arrive in US for Leadership Program

President Barack Obama's Young African Leadership Initiative has brought hundreds of young Africans to the United States for a six-week program aimed at building their knowledge and skills in fields such as public administration and business. Out of the 50,000 young Africans who applied for the program, just one percent was accepted. VOA's Laurel Bowman caught up with some of those who made the cut and has this report.
Video

Video In Honduras, Amnesty Rumors Fuel US Migration Surges

False rumors in Central America are fueling the current surge of undocumented young people being apprehended at the U.S. border. The inaccurate claims suggest the U.S. will give amnesty to young migrants from the region. As VOA's Brian Padden reports from Honduras, these rumors trace back to President Obama's 2012 executive order to halt deportations for some young undocumented immigrants already living in the United States.
Video

Video Students in Business for Themselves

They're only high school students, but they are making accessories for shoes, fabricating backpacks and doing product photography - all through their own businesses. It's the result of a partnership between a non-profit organization that teaches entrepreneurship and their schools. VOA's Mike O'Sullivan and Deyane Moses met the budding entrepreneurs near Los Angeles.
Video

Video Astronauts Train in Underwater Lab

In the world’s only underwater laboratory, four U.S. astronauts train for a planned visit to an asteroid. The lab - called Aquarius- is located five kilometers off Key Largo, in southern Florida. Living in close quarters and making excursions only into the surrounding ocean, they try to simulate the daily routine of a crew that will someday travel to collect samples of a rock orbiting far away from earth. VOA’s George Putic has more.

AppleAndroid