News / USA

US Budget Limits Border Security Resources

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano, February 9, 2011
Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano, February 9, 2011

The shooting of two U.S. border agents in Mexico on Tuesday raises questions about how the U.S. can step up the fight against Mexican drug cartels and protect U.S. borders with limited resources because of a tight budget.  

U.S. Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano says the demands on her department have never been greater, especially in the wake of the shooting death of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Special Agent Jaime Zapata. 

"I can speak for the entire administration when I say we are not only saddened by the loss of an agent, but we are outraged by this act of violence against an officer of the United States," she said.

Zapata was killed and another agent was shot in the leg Tuesday in Mexico when the two stopped at what appeared to be a military checkpoint, possibly set up by drug traffickers.  The Mexican military says it has no checkpoints in that area.

On Thursday at a Senate Homeland Security hearing on the budget, Napolitano said the death of Zapata makes the U.S. even more determined to do everything it can to protect against, mitigate and respond to threats. "We remain relentless in efforts to keep our border secure and to assist Mexico in breaking up the cartels that are plaguing that country," she said.

Earlier this week, U.S. President Barack Obama released his budget proposal which includes nearly $300 million for border technology, $229 million for border personnel and additional border patrol agents and officers.

Napolitano says Mr. Obama's budget proposal for the DHS is enough, but just the minimum amount needed to carry out the department's plans to secure the border.

"President Obama's [fiscal year] 2012 budget for the department allows us to continue to meet these evolving threats and challenges by prioritizing our essential operational requirements, while reflecting an unprecedented commitment to fiscal discipline that maximizes the effectiveness of every security dollar that we receive," she said.

The secretary said the current budget proposal cuts several security measures, including improvements in technology investment for the borders, funding to sustain the progress that's been made in enforcing our immigration laws and intelligence personnel in state and local terrorism prevention and response centers.

Former head of American Immigration Lawyers Association Charles Kuck says our borders are more secure than they ever have been, but he says the U.S. still faces imminent threats and needs to focus its resources on where people are likely to cross the border.

"The government can't stop everything. I think the government is doing an effective job with the dollars that they have and the people that they have, but you have to balance this against the budget people are screaming about. We can’t spend every dollar on border security. We have to spend it smart. We have to spend it in the way we get the most bang for our buck," he said.

A recent report from the Government Accountability Office finds that only 15 percent of the 3,200 kilometer long southwest border with Mexico is sealed, with the other 85 percent being managed.  A similar report shows about 52 kilometers of the 6,400 kilometer long northern border with Canada has reached an acceptable level of security.

You May Like

Lebanese Media Unite to Support Palestinians in Gaza

Joint newscast billed as Arab world’s first unified news bulletin in support of Hamas-controlled Gaza Strip More

Photogallery Australian PM Alleges ‘Coverup’ at MH17 Crash Site

Meanwhile, Russia's ambassador to Malaysia denies plane's black boxes were opened before they were handed over to Malaysian officials More

Despite Advances in AIDS Treatment, Stigma Lingers

Leading immunologist tells VOA that stigma is often what prevents those infected with disease from seeking treatment More

This forum has been closed.
Comments
     
There are no comments in this forum. Be first and add one

Featured Videos

Your JavaScript is turned off or you have an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.
IAEA: Iran Turns its Enriched Uranium Into Less Harmful Formi
X
July 22, 2014 10:26 AM
Iran has converted its stockpiles of enriched uranium into a less dangerous form that is more difficult to use for nuclear weapons, according to the United Nations’ Atomic Energy Agency. The move complies with an interim deal reached with Western powers on Iran's nuclear program last year, in exchange for easing of sanctions. Henry Ridgwell reports for VOA from London.
Video

Video IAEA: Iran Turns its Enriched Uranium Into Less Harmful Form

Iran has converted its stockpiles of enriched uranium into a less dangerous form that is more difficult to use for nuclear weapons, according to the United Nations’ Atomic Energy Agency. The move complies with an interim deal reached with Western powers on Iran's nuclear program last year, in exchange for easing of sanctions. Henry Ridgwell reports for VOA from London.
Video

Video Relic of Saint Draws Catholics Worried About Immigration Issue

A Roman Catholic saint who is a figure of devotion for those crossing the border into the United States is attracting believers concerned about the plight of undocumented immigrants. Mike O'Sullivan reports from Los Angeles, where a relic of Saint Toribio has drawn thousands to local churches.
Video

Video Ukraine Rebels Surrender MH17 Black Boxes

After days of negotiations, a senior separatist leader handed over two black boxes from an airliner downed over eastern Ukraine to Malaysian experts early Tuesday. While on Monday, the U.N. Security Council unanimously demanded that armed groups controlling the crash site allow safe and unrestricted access to the wreckage.
Video

Video In Cambodia, HIV Diagnosis Brings Deadly Shame

Although HIV/AIDS is now a treatable condition, a positive diagnosis is still a life altering experience. In Cambodia, people living with HIV are often disowned by friends, family and the community. This humiliation can be unbearable. We bring you one Cambodian woman’s struggle to overcome a life tragedy and her own HIV positive diagnosis.
Video

Video Nature of Space Exploration Enters New Age

Forty-five years ago this month, the first humans walked on the moon. It was during an era of the space race between the United States and the Soviet Union. World politics have changed since then and -- as Elizabeth Lee reports -- so has the nature of space exploration.
Video

Video Chicago’s Argonne Lab Developing Battery of the Future

In 2012, the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science awarded a $120 million grant to a new technology center focused on battery development - headquartered at Argonne National Laboratory in suburban Chicago, Illinois. As VOA’s Kane Farabaugh reports, there scientists are making the next technological breakthroughs in energy storage.
Video

Video In NW Pakistan, Army Offensive Causes Massive Number of Displaced

Pakistan’s army offensive in North Waziristan has resulted in the large-scale displacement of the local population. VOA's Ayaz Gul reports from northwest Pakistan where authorities say around 80 percent of the estimated 1 million internally displaced persons [IDPs] have settled in Bannu district, while much of the remaining 20 percent are scattered in nearby cities.
Video

Video Kurdish Peshmerga Force Secures Kirkuk, Its Oil

The Kurdistan regional government has sent its Peshmerga troops into the adjacent province of Kirkuk to drive out insurgents, and to secure the area's rich oil fields. By doing this, the regional government has added a fourth province to the three it officially controls. The oil also provides revenue that could make an independent Kurdistan economically strong. VOA’s Jeffrey Young went out with the Peshmerga and filed this report.
Video

Video Malaysia Reeling: Second Air Disaster in Four Months

Malaysia is reeling from the second air disaster in four months involving the country’s flag carrier. Flight 340 vanished in March and despite an extensive search, no debris has been found. And on Thursday, Flight 17, likely hit by a surface-to-air missile, came apart over eastern Ukraine. The two incidents together have left more than 500 people dead. VOA Correspondent Steve Herman reports from Kuala Lumpur.

AppleAndroid