We've mentioned Happy Schools Blog here before - they collect and publish stories from real F-1 visa interviews. The author says he (or she) has received over 100 stories, and has noticed 10 traits that are common among students who were denied their visa
1. Below Average to Poor English Language Skills
2. Low GRE Scores
3. Low TOEFL Scores
4. Low academic percentage
5. Failed Courses in Semester (backlogs)
6. High TOEFL Scores with low GRE Scores (maybe fake score)
7. Unable to follow instructions
8. Fake documents (financial, bank statements, score reports, transcripts,..) to varying degree
9. Lack of self-confidence
10. Not enough practice and mock interviews
Do you know anyone who's been denied a visa for one of these reasons (or for another reason)?
[For tips on what you SHOULD do in your interview, check out our previous story "Visa Tips from Visa Officers"