The United Nations mission in Congo has confirmed that foreign troops crossed into the eastern part of the country last month.
The U.N. did not say if the troops were Rwandan forces, as the Congolese government alleges, or if the foreign troops are still in Congo.
But in a statement issued late Friday, the mission said U.N. peacekeepers are convinced foreign troops entered Congo the day after Rwanda threatened to invade the country on November 23.
The United Nations also said that mutinous soldiers in eastern Congo have received arms from outside the country.
Congo accuses Rwanda of backing the rebels, who began fighting with the Congolese army last week in the eastern town of Kanyabayonga.
Rwanda has denied any involvement, but has repeatedly insisted it has the right to send troops into Congo to disarm Hutu fighters responsible for Rwanda's 1994 genocide.
Some information for this report provided by AFP and AP.