Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov has criticized recent U.S. proposals for a missile defense system based in Europe.
Lavrov said in an interview broadcast on a Russian television news channel (Vesti-24) Tuesday that the proposals Moscow received last week are a step back from the understanding the two countries reached in October.
Speaking in Washington after meeting with U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, Lavrov said that the U.S. is pursuing its unilateral plan in Eastern Europe and merely seeks Russian help instead of real cooperation.
He also said Moscow will continue to study the proposals and try to reach an understanding with Washington.
The United States is planning to deploy 10 missile interceptors in Poland and guidance radar in the Czech Republic.
Moscow says the missile shield close to Russia's borders is a threat to its security.
Top U.S. and Russian officials met in Washington Monday for talks on the plan. Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Kiselyak and the Americans, including Assistant U.S Secretary of State John Rood and Defense Undersecretary Eric Edelman, focused on new U.S. proposals sent to Moscow last week.
Some information for this report was provided by AP.