Indian police have released the names of nine suspected gunmen killed during last month's three-day terrorist siege in Mumbai.
Police investigator Rakesh Maria told reporters Tuesday that authorities have uncovered new details about the suspects and traced their hometowns to Pakistan. Maria also released the gunmens' aliases and showed photographs of eight of the suspected attackers. Authorities say they withheld a photo of the ninth suspect because his body was too badly burned.
It was not immediately clear how police tracked down the suspects' hometowns, but Indian authorities have been interrogating the lone surviving gunman in the attack.
In an opinion piece in The New York Times today, Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari says Pakistan is committed to finding and punishing all those responsible for the attacks.
However, Pakistani officials say they will not turn over suspects to India. Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi says Pakistan will take action against them in its own legal system.
India has identified a Pakistan-based militant group Lashkar-e-Taiba as the prime suspect in the attacks.
Pakistani security forces have rounded up several suspects during recent raids against militant groups.
Indian media, CNN-IBN channel, say Pakistani security officials have detained Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi, the alleged mastermind of the attacks and the head of another group fighting Indian rule in Kashmir, Maulana Masood Azhar.
Islamabad denies any involvement in the Mumbai attacks, which killed more than 170 people.
Some information for this report was provided by AFP and Reuters.